Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: S.Y.E.Question
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:30 am 
Offline
Jeeper in IN
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 220
Location: dyer indiama
Quick question, does basicaly everyone here who has a lifted jeep use a S.Y.E. and a C.V type drive shaft or is it possible to use a normal drive shaft just lenthend? I'm thinking 3'' possibly 4'' lift and 33'' tires on a 89 cherokee any ideas or sugestions, thanks

_________________
89 camo cherokee
77 CJ5
80 blazer
02 silverado2500 hd


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S.Y.E.Question
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:00 am 
Offline
Cliché Master

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:33 pm
Posts: 5344
Location: Peru, In
beez wrote:
Quick question, does basicaly everyone here who has a lifted jeep use a S.Y.E. and a C.V type drive shaft or is it possible to use a normal drive shaft just lenthend? I'm thinking 3'' possibly 4'' lift and 33'' tires on a 89 cherokee any ideas or sugestions, thanks


you should be fine. I ran a stock unit with a spring over for a while. The spring over netted me 5.5" of lift. Then i changed the axle and installed an extreme sye.

ANyway... you should be able to lift it 4" and use the stock stuff. hell go for it, and see what happens.

_________________
http://www.clowntowncycles.net


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:25 am 
Offline
mister wiskers
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:15 am
Posts: 1631
Location: For Twain, In Dianna
Yep. What he said.

_________________
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.
Semper Fidelis.
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:23 am 
Offline
Feeds people vomit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:10 pm
Posts: 6282
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Same here, i've run a spring over (about 6") and i had the rear shaft lengthened 1", it's worked fine...my only problem is keeping Tranny mounts...when i hit bumps and send the entire axle up (compression) i run out of room in my slip yoke, and it bottoms out, which transfers that vertical load to my transfercase output, which in turn rips out the tranny mount....

_________________
'78 CJ7 project....350, NV3500, NP241, fiberglass tub, show and shine
'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible - the family fun car
'05 Chevrolet 3500 dually, duramax, stock
'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S.Y.E.Question
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:31 am 
Offline
Particle Man
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:33 am
Posts: 12197
Location: Pensacola, FL
jkirisits wrote:
beez wrote:
Quick question, does basicaly everyone here who has a lifted jeep use a S.Y.E. and a C.V type drive shaft or is it possible to use a normal drive shaft just lenthend? I'm thinking 3'' possibly 4'' lift and 33'' tires on a 89 cherokee any ideas or sugestions, thanks


you should be fine. I ran a stock unit with a spring over for a while. The spring over netted me 5.5" of lift. Then i changed the axle and installed an extreme sye.

ANyway... you should be able to lift it 4" and use the stock stuff. hell go for it, and see what happens.

Same here. Had a little vibration, but no major problems... until that tree.

_________________
Time for a philosophy change...
Try not to watch the tiny little dot too long.

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard and Be Evil.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you are a mile away and you have their shoes when you criticize them.

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S.Y.E.Question
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:04 am 
Offline
what it was before for all i care

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:35 pm
Posts: 2145
Chambord wrote:
jkirisits wrote:
beez wrote:
Quick question, does basicaly everyone here who has a lifted jeep use a S.Y.E. and a C.V type drive shaft or is it possible to use a normal drive shaft just lenthend? I'm thinking 3'' possibly 4'' lift and 33'' tires on a 89 cherokee any ideas or sugestions, thanks


you should be fine. I ran a stock unit with a spring over for a while. The spring over netted me 5.5" of lift. Then i changed the axle and installed an extreme sye.

ANyway... you should be able to lift it 4" and use the stock stuff. hell go for it, and see what happens.

Same here. Had a little vibration, but no major problems... until that tree.


When i did my 4" on my YJ i had alittle vibration and was drivable, did the SYE and it was no longer drivable with rear drive shaft in, had to turn pinion up


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S.Y.E.Question
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:33 am 
Offline
Particle Man
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:33 am
Posts: 12197
Location: Pensacola, FL
chazinator wrote:
Chambord wrote:
jkirisits wrote:
beez wrote:
Quick question, does basicaly everyone here who has a lifted jeep use a S.Y.E. and a C.V type drive shaft or is it possible to use a normal drive shaft just lenthend? I'm thinking 3'' possibly 4'' lift and 33'' tires on a 89 cherokee any ideas or sugestions, thanks


you should be fine. I ran a stock unit with a spring over for a while. The spring over netted me 5.5" of lift. Then i changed the axle and installed an extreme sye.

ANyway... you should be able to lift it 4" and use the stock stuff. hell go for it, and see what happens.

Same here. Had a little vibration, but no major problems... until that tree.


When i did my 4" on my YJ i had alittle vibration and was drivable, did the SYE and it was no longer drivable with rear drive shaft in, had to turn pinion up

Oh yeah, I had my pinion turned up when I got the SOA so that was already done.

_________________
Time for a philosophy change...
Try not to watch the tiny little dot too long.

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard and Be Evil.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you are a mile away and you have their shoes when you criticize them.

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S.Y.E.Question
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:33 am 
Offline
Feeds people vomit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:10 pm
Posts: 6282
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Chambord wrote:
chazinator wrote:
Chambord wrote:
jkirisits wrote:
beez wrote:
Quick question, does basicaly everyone here who has a lifted jeep use a S.Y.E. and a C.V type drive shaft or is it possible to use a normal drive shaft just lenthend? I'm thinking 3'' possibly 4'' lift and 33'' tires on a 89 cherokee any ideas or sugestions, thanks


you should be fine. I ran a stock unit with a spring over for a while. The spring over netted me 5.5" of lift. Then i changed the axle and installed an extreme sye.

ANyway... you should be able to lift it 4" and use the stock stuff. hell go for it, and see what happens.

Same here. Had a little vibration, but no major problems... until that tree.


When i did my 4" on my YJ i had alittle vibration and was drivable, did the SYE and it was no longer drivable with rear drive shaft in, had to turn pinion up

Oh yeah, I had my pinion turned up when I got the SOA so that was already done.
Yup, pointed my pinion at the T case too...

_________________
'78 CJ7 project....350, NV3500, NP241, fiberglass tub, show and shine
'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible - the family fun car
'05 Chevrolet 3500 dually, duramax, stock
'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: S.Y.E.Question
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:29 pm 
Offline
Deacon Dr. Brown Valentine
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:21 pm
Posts: 1383
Location: Warsaw
beez wrote:
Quick question, does basicaly everyone here who has a lifted jeep use a S.Y.E. and a C.V type drive shaft or is it possible to use a normal drive shaft just lenthend? I'm thinking 3'' possibly 4'' lift and 33'' tires on a 89 cherokee any ideas or sugestions, thanks


not sure with the responses so i will make this statement. maybe i miss read what he was asking about.

cherokee not sure but if it is a TJ then yes get a SYE

_________________
skid => '97 Jeep Sport
SYE, 2" Suspension Lift, 1" Body Lift, 31 x 10.5 work week (33x12.5 playing)
Brush Grill , T-Max 10k HD Winch
150watt 380,000/each candle power driving lights


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:39 pm 
Offline
mister wiskers
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:15 am
Posts: 1631
Location: For Twain, In Dianna
Alan got a 4" lift for his Cherokee, and the SYE was definetely needed.

_________________
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.
Semper Fidelis.
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:59 pm 
Offline
Giggling Little Schoolgirl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:29 pm
Posts: 2471
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
just depends, some need it and some do not. get yer lift and put it on, if there are unbearable vibes, get driveshaft. this is a trail only rig right? i'm not too sure if you can fit 33's with a 3-3 1/2 inch lift though with out cutting. not too sure about that... not that cutting is a problem. by the way... i still like your exhaust. that is one helluva way to do it.

_________________
just another TJ on 35's...
full custom "Get Bent Kustoms" roll cage
very slow 1 ton project in the works...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:44 am 
Offline
Jeeper in IN
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 220
Location: dyer indiama
Also I was thinking about putting a 8.8 in the rear and I heard some where that the 8.8 pinion housing is about 1'' longer than the dana 35 so if you got a adaptor u-joint you should be able to be adjusted for your lift right? And it is strickly a trail rig. Any insight???????

_________________
89 camo cherokee
77 CJ5
80 blazer
02 silverado2500 hd


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:57 pm 
Offline
mister wiskers
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:15 am
Posts: 1631
Location: For Twain, In Dianna
Combo joints are no good in my opinion. Who will have a spare?

_________________
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.
Semper Fidelis.
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:30 pm 
Offline
Cliché Master

Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:33 pm
Posts: 5344
Location: Peru, In
Tuffjarhed wrote:
Combo joints are no good in my opinion. Who will have a spare?


ask scout man about combo joints...

_________________
http://www.clowntowncycles.net


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:13 pm 
Offline
Tang Soo
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:34 am
Posts: 2727
Location: NE Indiana
beez wrote:
Also I was thinking about putting a 8.8 in the rear and I heard some where that the 8.8 pinion housing is about 1'' longer than the dana 35 so if you got a adaptor u-joint you should be able to be adjusted for your lift right? And it is strickly a trail rig. Any insight???????



on a cherokee if you have the stock driveshaft lengthened you are good to go without an sye to at least up to 4 to 6 inches of lift. years ago i ran mine this way, i had a clunk with this set up. i thought it was the drive shaft, turns out it wasn't and i could've run without the sye for a long time. if you do eventually decide to go with an sye, for a cheap setup i have ran the RE hack and tap for years (to this day even), without any problems whatsoever...

i would put the 8.8 in, with the inch in extra length, try the stock driveshaft with the combo joint and see where you are at. combo joints are stock factory stuff in broncos and such and pretty dependable. they are common at the usual auto parts stores...i would just keep a spare on hand like you would with any other ujoints. try it and see how it does.

mac 'i know yer all about the cheap' gyvr

_________________
NAXJA president
NAXJA Midwest Chapter president
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:18 am 
Offline
Feeds people vomit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:10 pm
Posts: 6282
Location: West Lafayette, IN
good call mac 'insert something fun here' gyvr

_________________
'78 CJ7 project....350, NV3500, NP241, fiberglass tub, show and shine
'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible - the family fun car
'05 Chevrolet 3500 dually, duramax, stock
'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:19 am 
Offline
greasy gizzard-juice
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:31 am
Posts: 5231
Location: claypool
Tuffjarhed wrote:
Combo joints are no good in my opinion. Who will have a spare?


Well isn't that something smart to carrry with ya? :?

:flipoff:

_________________
Check out my woman's webpage so she'll be happy lol. If ya need photography work done this is the place to get it.
http://iwant2shootu.com

Hell who knows what I'm gonna have from one day to the next so why bother trying to list em.

[/img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/crazy_cooter56/jeeps2.jpg[/img]


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:19 am 
Offline
Tang Soo
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:34 am
Posts: 2727
Location: NE Indiana
crazy_cooter56 wrote:
Tuffjarhed wrote:
Combo joints are no good in my opinion. Who will have a spare?


Well isn't that something smart to carrry with ya? :?

:flipoff:


my point...

mac 'preachin to the choir' gyvr

_________________
NAXJA president
NAXJA Midwest Chapter president
My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron