Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: The XK Jeep commander/What do you think about em?
 Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:07 pm 
I have been kicking an idea around about a Jeep Commander(used of course) , and have been looking for a used one with a V-8 in it, I have seen some lifted with brushguards whore, and more of an agressive stance to em . I have been looking for more facts and havent really seen a whole lot of aftermarket parts for them. I wanted to get some honest opinions from real Jeep guys , but keep in mind I would not stand for a soccer mom looking brick, that hasnt been wrenched on.

Post subject: Re: The XK Jeep commander/What do you think about em?
 Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:10 pm 
i don't think anyone on here has one.

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:17 pm 
xjryder wrote:
I have been kicking an idea around about a Jeep Commander(used of course) , and have been looking for a used one with a V-8 in it, I have seen some lifted with brushguards whore, and more of an agressive stance to em . I have been looking for more facts and havent really seen a whole lot of aftermarket parts for them. I wanted to get some honest opinions from real Jeep guys , but keep in mind I would not stand for a soccer mom looking brick, that hasnt been wrenched on.

I think they are a good lookin' rig, and I like the idea of the third row seating.(Being as I am a family man) That being said, It could only be an on road vehicle for me, because it is an IFS rig. I don't consider anything with IFS to be a jeep. They started the whole "trail rated" crap about the same time they started doing IFS rigs. Like they had to convince people! In my book, to be a jeep, it needs a straight 6, (Or bigger), and 2 solid axles! :2up: (Sorry 4 banger guys. Not trying to be a dick. That's just how I see it!) :acclaim:

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:47 pm 
what it was before for all i care

philbert001 wrote:
(Sorry 4 banger guys. Not trying to be a dick. That's just how I see it!) :acclaim:

:flipoff2:

Might be a 4banger but it still gets the job done...LOL

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:50 pm 
freezes his batteries off

I like the Commander, but they are already pretty top heavy and lifting one would make that even worse. You would have to make the stance a lot wider. Buy a 4 door JK and be happy!!

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:52 pm 
chaz wrote:
philbert001 wrote:
(Sorry 4 banger guys. Not trying to be a dick. That's just how I see it!) :acclaim:

:flipoff2:

Might be a 4banger but it still gets the job done...LOL

I said sorry! God! what do you 4 banger fuckers want from me? You want me to put a honda motor in all my jeeps? Lmao ! You guys get the last laugh on mileage, so leave me alone! :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:01 pm 
I have driven a few of those commanders and on the street they drive like a caddy, real nice.The problem I have with them is to me I feel like they were trying to go for the hummer look,the inside really looks like a hummer.Don't get me wrong I like hummers for street use of course but I did'nt like the look of the commander because it had already been done years before.If I did ever own one it would have to stay on the street.It would make a good mall crawler for the wife though.Just my 2 cents :2up:

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:38 pm 
spackled

Bein' an XJ owner, I kinda liked the styling, but after looking underneath, I decided there were way too many things hangin' down from the underbody that would be in the way off-road, even if you lifted it. IMHO :acclaim:

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:51 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

philbert001 wrote:
xjryder wrote:

I think they are a good lookin' rig, and I like the idea of the third row seating.(Being as I am a family man) That being said, It could only be an on road vehicle for me, because it is an IFS rig. I don't consider anything with IFS to be a jeep. They started the whole "trail rated" crap about the same time they started doing IFS rigs. Like they had to convince people! In my book, to be a jeep, it needs a straight 6, (Or bigger), and 2 solid axles! :2up: (Sorry 4 banger guys. Not trying to be a dick. That's just how I see it!) :acclaim:

So umm.. an old 46 Willy's must not be a real Jeep then? It's all about the gears my friend.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:01 am 
Alpine wrote:
philbert001 wrote:
xjryder wrote:

So umm.. an old 46 Willy's must not be a real Jeep then? It's all about the gears my friend.

Sorry! I'm internet lingo challenged! I guess you four banger people don't realize that "In my book"= IMHO! :flipoff2: I agree, it is (Almost) all about the gears, but What's better than 4.56 gears and 120 horsepower? 4.56 gears and 190 horsepower! :flipoff2:

I'm a no things in moderation kind of guy. Remember, I'm the guy that's putting a hot small block v-8 in a Comanche! Lol!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:24 am 
Thread Necromancer

philbert001 wrote:
Alpine wrote:
philbert001 wrote:
xjryder wrote:

Sorry! I'm internet lingo challenged! I guess you four banger people don't realize that "In my book"= IMHO! :flipoff2: I agree, it is (Almost) all about the gears, but What's better than 4.56 gears and 120 horsepower? 4.56 gears and 190 horsepower! :flipoff2:

I'm a no things in moderation kind of guy. Remember, I'm the guy that's putting a hot small block v-8 in a Comanche! Lol!

its not the HP... its the Torque!

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:51 am 
Jeeper in IN

Back on topic of the Commander, I had one big annoyance in particular being that I am 6'4". Everytime I moved around I'd turn the dumb thing off with my knee hitting the keys hanging from the ignition. I probably killed the thing 4 or 5 times in the 20 minutes I drove it.

The guy who owns it is ~6'2" and has the same problems but not nearly as often.

Other than that I liked it alot.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:08 pm 
alot of the things I have been finding out about it is IFS=no lockers for that set up and it blows up rebuilding is expensive, I also seen a 4 inch lift for around $2,000, 6 inch I undersdtand spending that much, its got a 4.7 V-8, 304 torque, 220 hp, and it would have to be up graded I can stand stock soccer mom looking baby jeep with baby tires. And by stating real jeep guys I mean the ones who drive, fix , and wheel their jeeps. :tu2:

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:29 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Damn... for 2 grand you could throw a solid axle under the front with a nice four link and be done with it!

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:08 pm 
kennedy wrote:
philbert001 wrote:
Alpine wrote:
philbert001 wrote:
xjryder wrote:

its not the HP... its the Torque!

Whatever! Either way, 6 or 8 cylinders have more of that too!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:28 pm 
They are nice, like them alot as a driver. I wouldnt ever even have thoughts of wheeling it or lifting it at all. "Trail Rated" or not, its a street bound vehicle. Keep in mind, even some of the patriot and compasses are "Trail Rated". If you go and look up the trail rated requirements, they really arent impressive. Also, everything on and in it is computer controlled. Everything is on a BUS system too, so unless you have, or have access to, the really expensive scan tools and manufacturer information, trying to fix anything yourself out of warranty will be a pain in the ass and costly. Modules arent cheap, and now that almost every part is module controlled, they are more expensive too. If you put bigger tires on it, you have to take it to a dealer to have the tire size reset in the modules or it can throw all sorts of lights and shut down ABS, TCS, cruise control.

IMHO, they are nice, and i do like them, but i dont think id buy one looking down the road of ownership. But, everything is going that way, so unless you buy older vehicles, you really arent gonna be able to get away from all of this soon anyway.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech