Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: 4.0 liter rear main seal replacement.
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:30 pm 
I am going to do a new rear mainseal in my Comanche tomorrow, and am wondering if anyone who has done one has any tips, hints, tricks, or things to look out for when doing it. If you haven't done one, I don't wanna hear about what you have "heard". I've never done one, but am sure I'll have no problems getting it done. Just looking for pointers from people who have.

Post subject: Re: 4.0 liter rear main seal replacement.
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:08 am 
Tang Soo

done a couple...you'll a long thin piece of bronze to get the upper half of the seal out. sometimes they come out easy and sometimes they don't...

i always put a little oil on the upper half when i install the new one to help with the install.

on a stock xj i remove the swaybar links, one of the track bar mounts, and upper control arms to get enough room to get the oil pan out by moving the front axle down.

if you don't have a one piece rubber gasket on the oil pan i would get one, they are a little pricey but WELL worth the effort when putting the oil pan back in.

mac 'have fun' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:44 am 
macgyvr wrote:
done a couple...you'll a long thin piece of bronze to get the upper half of the seal out. sometimes they come out easy and sometimes they don't...

i always put a little oil on the upper half when i install the new one to help with the install.

on a stock xj i remove the swaybar links, one of the track bar mounts, and upper control arms to get enough room to get the oil pan out by moving the front axle down.

if you don't have a one piece rubber gasket on the oil pan i would get one, they are a little pricey but WELL worth the effort when putting the oil pan back in.

mac 'have fun' gyvr

Thanks Mac! I think what all I was going to have to do to get the pan out was my biggest concern. I'll let ya know how much hair I pull out before it's done! :) And I already got the rubber one piece pan seal ready and waiting. They have gotten quite a bit cheaper. Felpro molded rubber one piece, $21.99 at advance. not too bad! :2up: My hanes manual says to use a punch to start one end of the upper. how long and how thin are you talking for the bronze? I'm assuming that will become evident when I pull the bearing cap.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:33 pm 
spackled

philbert001 wrote:
macgyvr wrote:

mac 'have fun' gyvr

Thanks Mac! I think what all I was going to have to do to get the pan out was my biggest concern. I'll let ya know how much hair I pull out before it's done! :) And I already got the rubber one piece pan seal ready and waiting. They have gotten quite a bit cheaper. Felpro molded rubber one piece, $21.99 at advance. not too bad! :2up: My hanes manual says to use a punch to start one end of the upper. how long and how thin are you talking for the bronze? I'm assuming that will become evident when I pull the bearing cap.

I just did the rear main on my 304. I'd have to assume that the 4.0 is similar. I picked up a piece of 3/32" square brass stock (smallest square stock they carried) at the hardware store. I got lucky, mine came right out. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a pan gasket for the 304 in anything but cork, just used a bead of form gasket to help seal it.

"finding parts for 30 yr. old stuff is always fum"

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:23 am 
Done! :tu2: Thanks for the tips guys! That upper half was a bear to break loose! I had to loosen all the bearing caps, but once I broke it loose, it was easy. I grabbed the end with some needle nose pliers, and dragged it around the crank till it was free! From the looks of the old oil pan gasket, the rear main wasn't what was leaking, but I figured this way, I'll probably never have to do it again! :2up:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:15 pm 
Tang Soo

philbert001 wrote:
Done! :tu2: Thanks for the tips guys! That upper half was a bear to break loose! I had to loosen all the bearing caps, but once I broke it loose, it was easy. I grabbed the end with some needle nose pliers, and dragged it around the crank till it was free! From the looks of the old oil pan gasket, the rear main wasn't what was leaking, but I figured this way, I'll probably never have to do it again! :2up:

i meant brass not bronze...sorry it was a late night post...

that's a good idea loosening all the bearing cap bolts to get that upper half freed up, i never considered doing that...

oh and its a 4.0...the rear main will live on to leak again...believe me...

mac 'thing about a jeep is...it will always keep you busy with maintainance' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:32 pm 
macgyvr wrote:

i meant brass not bronze...sorry it was a late night post...

oh and its a 4.0...the rear main will live on to leak again...believe me...

mac 'thing about a jeep is...it will always keep you busy with maintainance' gyvr

Yeah, you're probably right! This was my first one. I think by the time I do my other two jeeps, It'll be time to do the first one again! :doh:

I have 3 4.0 jeeps. I already know they keep you busy with maintainance! I aint tellin you anything new. You are one of the few people with more vehicles than me! :eek2: :eek2: I do like that they all have pretty much the same drivetrain. If I've done it to one of them, chances are, I can do it the other two as well! :tu2:

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech