Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: Mounting 35s on 10" wide rims or 8" wide rims?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:33 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

When I do my axle swap, my pile is getting a new set of 35s (35x12.50R15). I have already bought a set of 15 x 10 rims. I like to air my tires waaayy down when I wheel, so I'm worried about peeling the beads off someplace really inconvenient.

Another factor is the axle size difference - the axles going under it are 2.5" narrower (total) than the axles coming out (58" vs 60.5"). The axles are out of a Bronco. I don't want to completely wax my turning radius because things rub horribly.

Given this information, I have 2 options:
1) Get another 15 x 10 rim, get a set of beadlocks, and convince Discount Tire to install them for me when they do my tires.
2) Get a set of 5 15 x 8 rims and convince Discount tire to install 12.5" wide tires on them.

Thoughts? Opinions?

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post subject: Re: Mounting 35s on 10" wide rims or 8" wide rims?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:27 am 
Jeeper in IN

35 12.50's on a 8 inch rim just seems wrong. If they were 10.50's then...

10" rim with beadlocks IMO

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:00 am 
Pap's mirror

hey tom dont know if it helps ya or not...did ya look at mine when we were there? those are 16X8 with 35s

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:24 am 

PapsOldDually wrote:
hey phantom plugger dont know if it helps ya or not...did ya look at mine when we were there? those are 16X8 with 35s

What is the width of your 35s? I remember hearing that you didn't want the 12.5 wide ones because you didn't want the steam roller look.

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:03 pm 
what it was before for all i care

I would recommend 15x8. When I had the YJ i had 10" wide wheels and had alot of troubles keeping the bead on when aired down to 15psi. With my current 15x8's on my 35x12.50's i have not had one bead problem. That is with me aired down to 10 to 12psi. Also you are probably going to need to do some research on what backspacing to run. Since they are that much more narrow than the stock axles you may have issues with them rubbing the leafs springs and not just when turning. I would think the rear would rub to if you run the normal 4" backspacing. You may also think about running wheel spacers to help with that issue. I know there are alot of people that have had bad luck with them. But i also know alot of people that have not had any issues running them. If you want to run beadlocks I would look into the weld on kits. If you plan on going that route then I would reccomend a 15x9 wheel.

that my 2cents :tu2:

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 pm 
Pap's mirror

Alpine wrote:
PapsOldDually wrote:
hey phantom plugger dont know if it helps ya or not...did ya look at mine when we were there? those are 16X8 with 35s

What is the width of your 35s? I remember hearing that you didn't want the 12.5 wide ones because you didn't want the steam roller look.

yup they are 12.5s. when i was talkin roller look it was towards the wheel stretching the tire out to far not the width of the tire its self.so...i am running 35. 12.5 r16's on 8 in wheel.

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:12 pm 
Jeeper in IN

weld on beadlocks are not street legal might want to look into that. if you want to air down without beadlocks i'd stick with an 8 inch rim for a 12.5 tire. thats what i have and have ran 12 psi with no problems. trail retard runs 10psi with same set up and hasnt had any problems (yet!)

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:14 pm 
I have a set of crager street locks Black and big ass 15x12's feelin froggy?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:47 pm 

xjryder wrote:

Not that froggy. ;)

If I need a weird backspaced rim, where can I get one? I like my old AR767s, but I didn't see any love in that direction.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:15 pm 
Pap's mirror

Alpine wrote:
xjryder wrote:

Not that froggy. ;)

If I need a weird backspaced rim, where can I get one? I like my old AR767s, but I didn't see any love in that direction.

i would say summit racing catalog. thats where i got mine. 325 for 5 wheels shipped

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:39 pm 

Alpine wrote:
xjryder wrote:

If you dont have any luck finding what you want. You might try the race shop (Fort Oval supply i think its called, down the road from the police station). They can get pretty much any wheel size with any back spacing you would need. That is where I got the wheels for the YJ from. I ran them and liked them, but some people have complained that they are not that great on the street. But i didnt have any issues myself.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:41 pm 

Ok, it looks like the bottom line here is exposed axle (the inside with tire to tire).

It took me awhile, but I figured out a formula that seems to work.

Given your existing tire width, rim size, backspacing, axle width you can determine your exposed axle. This turns out to be axle width - (tire width / 2 + rim offset) * 2).

The rim offset = (backspacing - true width of rim / 2)

For example, my YJ currently has a tire width of 10.5", a rim width of 8" (true width of 8.5"), axle width of 60.5", and a rim backspacing of 4". So (60.5 - (10.5/2 + (4 - 8.5/2) * 2)) = 51" of exposed axle. I went out to the garage with a tape measure and verified that it indeed has 51" between the tires.

So.. with a new axle width of 58", new tire width of 12.5", new true rim width of 9", and maintaining 51.5" of exposed axle means that I need my rim to have 3" of backspacing: (58 - (12.5/2 + (3 - 9/2) * 2)) = 51.5".

Does that look right? Am I missing something?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:09 pm 

Sounds about right to me. most common back spacing seems to be 4". so 3" back spacing should get you 2 extra inches.

so when is the swap going down? getting close yet?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:47 pm 

I hope so. My wife and I have an unspoken unwritten deal to where I am allowed to start working on the Jeep when Isabelle starts sleeping through the night. Right now, free time in my evenings is spent making sure the kids don't kill each other so the wife can get caught up on her sleep.

We're trying some new things, so (crossing fingers) I'm hoping to get started on those axles soon. :)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:56 pm 

Here's for your 15x8 and 5x5.5 custom backspaced rim needs. :)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/USW-84-5855-SPEC/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/USW-70-5855-SPEC/

Or if you would rather just get a 15x8 on 5x5.5 with 2.5" BS, you can pick some up from here:
http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/black- ... -9273.html

I think I'm in pretty good shape now. Thanks for the help all! :tu2:

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:39 am 
mister wiskers

FYI, if you take your Summit part numbers to Fort Wayne Oval Track Supply (Bartos), he can get your parts in at the same price, but without the shipping charge.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:53 pm 

Tuffjarhed wrote:
FYI, if you take your Summit part numbers to Fort Wayne Oval Track Supply (Bartos), he can get your parts in at the same price, but without the shipping charge.

Excellent info! Thanks! :tu2:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:30 pm 
Thread Necromancer

I've got just the wheels you need.... (actually they are my dad's)... make ya a great deal.
I'll have to check if they are 8" or 10" wide though. They are steel beadlocks and I know that they have 3" of back spacing. Would set ya up perfect!

edit: PM me your cell phone number and I will run over there after work today or tomorrow and get some pics and send to ya on your phone. I think I have your number, but not sure how up to date it is.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:03 pm 
trained to drive the choo choo

04willys wrote:
weld on beadlocks are not street legal might want to look into that. if you want to air down without beadlocks i'd stick with an 8 inch rim for a 12.5 tire. thats what i have and have ran 12 psi with no problems. trail retard runs 10psi with same set up and hasnt had any problems (yet!)

There is a lot of this going around and not one person has been able to prove it.

Weld on beadlocks will make your rim wider since you are moving the bead from inside the wheel to outside the wheel. I ran them at the Badlands and had 0 problems.

My mind is like a steel trap, everything that goes in comes out mutilated.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:05 pm 
trained to drive the choo choo

PapsOldDually wrote:
Alpine wrote:
xjryder wrote:

Not that froggy. ;)

i would say summit racing catalog. thats where i got mine. 325 for 5 wheels shipped

I'll sell my 4 beadlocks for that. :) (5 on 5.5)

My mind is like a steel trap, everything that goes in comes out mutilated.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech