Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: locking a tj
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:50 pm 
Jeeper in IN

thinking my new set up is going to be a detroit locker for the 8.8 and a detroit truetrac for the d30 has anyone ran this setup? i really dont want a full locker for the front for street abillity but i also dont want to shell out 800 bucks for an arb locker

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post subject: Re: locking a tj
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:24 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Lance, I have true tracks in both my axles. For all the harder I wheel it, it works fine. However, if I had the money to do it over, I would have put a Detroit soft locker in the rear and 4.88 gears.

I have found in mud, if you hit the brakes hard while rolling, the true tracks will lock up.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:58 pm 
Tang Soo

04willys wrote:
thinking my new set up is going to be a detroit locker for the 8.8 and a detroit truetrac for the d30 has anyone ran this setup? i really dont want a full locker for the front for street abillity but i also dont want to shell out 800 bucks for an arb locker

baby jeep has a trutrac up front and a full detroit in the 44 in the rear.

you've seen it so you know it works good.

I do get some feed back from it on the street from time to time.

mac 'get locked up' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:08 pm 
Jeeper in IN

macgyvr wrote:
04willys wrote:

mac 'get locked up' gyvr

ya but i feel the short wheel base is gonna give me more feed back then them cherocars haha

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:55 pm 
04willys wrote:
macgyvr wrote:
04willys wrote:

mac 'get locked up' gyvr

ya but i feel the short wheel base is gonna give me more feed back then them cherocars haha

Ive rode in a yj with aussies front and rear, just tonight actually, and it wasnt that bad. Ive driven a tj with a lockright in the front, and other than clicking, ya dont notice it (but thats in 2wd), and ive driven a cj with detroits front and rear and it wasnt bad at all, just something to get used to and remember when going around turns.

Im goin aussie front and rear, cuz id like to have money to spend elsewhere as well.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:18 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Dick wrote:
04willys wrote:
macgyvr wrote:
04willys wrote:

mac 'get locked up' gyvr

Ive rode in a yj with aussies front and rear, just tonight actually, and it wasnt that bad. Ive driven a tj with a lockright in the front, and other than clicking, ya dont notice it (but thats in 2wd), and ive driven a cj with detroits front and rear and it wasnt bad at all, just something to get used to and remember when going around turns.

Im goin aussie front and rear, cuz id like to have money to spend elsewhere as well.

i want to eliminate the weak point in the 8.8 since the carrier is pretty much junk from the factory need to upgrade

dd saturn vue

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech