Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: Another Tire Thread
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:19 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I know most forums are over run with tire threads, so first I apologize for adding to the disease. I'm going to be needing some new tires soon and wanted to get some opinions on some specific models if anyone is running them. Right now I run a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revos most of the time and switch out to Firestone Destination MT's when wheeling. I want to move up to something more agressive for daily use so I wouldn't necessarily have to be swapping back and forth so much. I would go with the Destinations year round but this past week has proven how horrible they are on ice. I realize this is going to be a characteristic on any MT, but some have to be better than others.

Long story, but here are the ones that I am considering. Let me know opinions if anyone is running them. Also feel free to throw in anything else you think I should consider. Stipulations: 1.) Must be American Made 2.) Must be an American company, which pretty much limits us to Goodyear and Cooper. I'd also consider Interco, but seems like they have a lot of balance problems.

1.) Goodyear MT/R
2.) Cooper Discoverer STT
3.) Goodyear Duratracs.

Note: Size is 315/75/16

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Another Tire Thread
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:02 pm 
mister wiskers

Support your local BFGoodrich.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:12 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Get Bent wrote:
Support your local BFGoodrich.

Are the KM2's actually made in Woodburn?

For what it's worth, I didn't even consider the BFG connection when I first posted. Certainly don't mean to tick anyone off. I have had BFG's before and they were fantastic. Right at this moment, with the economy still in the toilet, I think it's important to support not only American workers, but American companies as well. Again, please don't take anything personally.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:36 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Don't need to walk on eggshells here. :)

I love my oldschool BFG KMs. I was so impressed with them that I picked up a set of BFG long trails for the Liberty. Honestly, those haven't worn as well as I would have liked. Especially since they were advertised as a 70,000 mile tire.

I've had experience with BFG ATs in the past and the long trails didn't last as long as the ATs (maybe a different rubber compound?) The next set on the Liberty are going to be just a regular set of BFG ATs. The YJ is going to get a set of 35" KM2s - hopefully this year. :)

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:51 pm 
Baby puncher

The only new tires I've ran is the Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ. All I can say is I LOVED them, great in everything, including snow.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:41 am 
mister wiskers

No offense taken! I love the tires and, yes, some KM2s are made in Woodburn. Tom, you are welcome to take my Grand or my truck for a spin on these crappy roads, I forget which tires we have but they are long something. I love em, whatever they are. Libbys are pretty heavy, you keeping an eye on air pressure?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:56 am 
Jeeper in IN

I emailed BFG and they confirmed that my particular size (315/75 -16) are in fact manufactured in Woodburn. Yay! That may be enough to sway me.

Also, I'm new here (to the forum), and it's really cool that you guys don't seem to get all upset at any little comment. That's what accounts for my "eggshell mentality". So many forums get so bent out of shape over anything at all. This seems like a pretty cool group.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:00 am 
Smokey rolls

like nick the only "new" tires i have ever owned is mickey thompson mtz's and also love them but on the same note i know alot of people running the km2's and swear by them ...my next set im thinking of trying out the km2's

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:01 pm 
Pap's mirror

08H3 wrote:
I emailed BFG and they confirmed that my particular size (315/75 -16) are in fact manufactured in Woodburn. Yay! That may be enough to sway me.

Also, I'm new here (to the forum), and it's really cool that you guys don't seem to get all upset at any little comment. That's what accounts for my "eggshell mentality". So many forums get so bent out of shape over anything at all. This seems like a pretty cool group.

thats what im running now, bought them new and have had no problems at all :tu2:

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 pm 
Baby puncher

I don't know why I'm liking Mickey Thompsons so much but I just acquired me a set of 85% 35" baja claws I'll be trying out tomorrow. Can't go wrong with the km2's though!!

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech