Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: What's a good poundage for me?
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:23 am 
Male nurse in training

I'm looking at purchasing a winch here in the next couple of week's for my YJ, I'm considering two, both Warn's of course. One is a 8,000 pounder and the other is a 10,000 pounder. Should I get the bigger one or should I save some money and get the smaller one?

Post subject: Re: What's a good poundage for me?
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:29 am 
Jeeper in IN

A good rule of thumb is double the vehicle weight. The yj lightly (no one tones)modded and fully loaded with stuff is probably around 4k lbs.

So the 8k should get you and remember you can use a snatch block for more oomph. Now if you want to go with full width axels and some 40's you might look at the 10k. Honestly for me an 8-9k winch is what i'd look for with my setup as it is.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 am 
Thread Necromancer

SUBARU? wrote:
A good rule of thumb is double the vehicle weight. The yj lightly (no one tones)modded and fully loaded with stuff is probably around 4k lbs.

So the 8k should get you and remember you can use a snatch block for more oomph. meow if you want to go with full width axels and some 40's you might look at the 10k. Honestly for me an 8-9k winch is what i'd look for with my setup as it is.

actually the rule of thumb is 1.5x the vehicle weight, that is what most winch manufactures recommend anyhow...

But you'd be good with the 8k, but the 10k wouldn't hurt. I have a 9500 that I ran on my TJ, the thing never gave me any issues, including pulling a full size blazer on 40s out of an iced over mud/water pit at the badlands. (I pulled him through 4inches of ice, forward and through it, not back out the way he came).

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:49 am 
Jeeper in IN

The biggest thing to remember is that you loose pull for each layer thats on the spool. If you have an 8k and if you have 3 layers on while pulling it's about 30% or more less. So a short pull on an 8k would be 6500 or so. Which would be Kennedy's 1.5X weight. Thats why whenever your pulling it's best to get some distance and/or double the line on a block. A myred in vehicle has an exponential amout of weight as for pulling. Most winches only quote rolling weight anyway because they cannot calculate the variables for spec sheets. Alot of them just give you the max pull on a 0 line load

I think you's be more than ok with the 8k and a good snatch block. At full pull on 0 layer you should be able to top 16klbs. Also remember what your tieing to. Depending on your mounts for hooking too. A lot of d ring clevis' 3/4" or so ony rate to 13k ish working load.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:59 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I have an M8000 on my H3 and it can pull that pig out of about anything. As stated before, you can always add a block, and double your pull. By the time you do that you can easily get into the realm of bending and breaking stuff, so I'd vote for the 8000 since they are so cheap and a good block.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech