Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech

Post subject: Winch Question
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:43 pm 
n00b
n00b

Over at the Q'tec BB, everyone seems to think that if you don't get a Warn winch, you are wasting your money, and that anything less than a Warn is fit only for a Mall Crawling poser.

For Christmas, my parents, inlaws, and wife joined forces, and got me a 9000# winch from Harbor Freight. Needless to say, I was pretty excited, as I had been winchless before Christmas, but now I am wondering if I just bolted dead weight onto my Jeep.

Unlike some of those guys at Q'tec, I do not have a money tree growing in my back yard, and thus, would have remained winchless, had I not settled for less than the best. I figure that a winch is a "just in case" item, for when you bite off more than you can chew, so I figure that a cheap winch (with a decent pull rating) is better than no winch at all.

I know that Warn is reputed to be the best in the business, but my question is, has anyone else used the Harbor Freight Winch, or a Mile Marker (which the HF appears to be identical to)?

If so, what were your impressions of the product?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:18 pm 
Thread Necromancer

I have heard good things about the Mile Marker.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:58 pm 
Cliché Master

the winch you got is made by mile marker... i also beleive mile marker makes the t-maxx winch.

this is the way i look at it... iffen you go wheelin with them, and they get stuck, you don't have to help them out, since your "inferior" winch isn't good enough for them... Hey, i do stupid stuff ALL the time, i would be honored to have you pull me out of something i got in over my head... skid does it for me all the time...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:41 am 
collega cusks

jkirisits wrote:
the winch you got is made by mile marker... i also beleive mile marker makes the t-maxx winch.

this is the way i look at it... iffen you go wheelin with them, and they get stuck, you don't have to help them out, since your "inferior" winch isn't good enough for them... Hey, i do stupid stuff ALL the time, i would be honored to have you pull me out of something i got in over my head... skid does it for me all the time...

t-max and mile marker are not the same. T-max is a bad company

Mile marker winches are fine. I work a 4wp's in indy. we sell an equal amount of MM and warn winches. even the people we wheel with 1/2 use MM and 1/2 with warn. MM has a good warranty too. Bascially the way I try to tell people is if you're just looking for something to get your unstuck get a MM, if you're looking for something that is gonna pull you up a hill when your rear tire is hanging off the side of a mountain and if the winch fails you go rolling, get a Warn.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:06 am 
Cliché Master

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... ight=t-max

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:21 pm 
Feeds people vomit

PUjeeper wrote:
jkirisits wrote:

Mile marker winches are fine. I work a 4wp's in indy. we sell an equal amount of MM and warn winches. even the people we wheel with 1/2 use MM and 1/2 with warn. MM has a good warranty too. Bascially the way I try to tell people is if you're just looking for something to get your unstuck get a MM, if you're looking for something that is gonna pull you up a hill when your rear tire is hanging off the side of a mountain and if the winch fails you go rolling, get a Warn.

Boy, i'm glad i got a warn....wouldn't want that to happen....cause there's so many mountains in northwestern indiana.....maybe i shoulda saved some cash....Boogers and shit!!....live and learn...

Just curious, how much does the harbor frieght winch cost? Mine was $726 shipped i think (Warn 9000XI)

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:29 pm 
Damn Websense...

the only 9000lb winch I see at harbor freight is a Chicago Electric Power Tools winch. Its $419 but he said MM and I don't see one. So I dunno :?

"The two best things in life are canned beer and pussy."
"...and they're both better if you drink the canned beer first."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:47 pm 
a naked man tit in a highschool locker room

jkirisits wrote:

Does that help Hatchet?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:07 pm 
greasy gizzard-juice

I've got a Ramsey, only because I got a helluva deal on a used one, and the one time I've used it I loved it. We can't all afford to spend all that money on something that you really hope not to have to use at all. Enjoy what you've got use it till it dies, hope like hell it's not when you really need it hahaha, and if you get the spare cash to buy a "better" one then do it for peace of mind. They got you a kickass present enjoy it and say to hell with the naysayers.

Hell who knows what I'm gonna have from one day to the next so why bother trying to list em.

[/img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/crazy_cooter56/jeeps2.jpg[/img]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:38 pm 
Jeeper in IN

A couple of guys i wheel with have them, one for about 3 years and it get a lot of use. They are a little under powered on the last few layers so get a snatch block or spool out some

61 fc 170 flatbed project

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:41 pm 
Deacon Dr. Brown Valentine

PUjeeper wrote:
jkirisits wrote:

PU i find this funny as you were pushing the T-Max. I bought it on your advice and have been very pleased with it. If i had the money I'd bought a Warn but so far I'm glad i got what i did :tu2:

150watt 380,000/each candle power driving lights

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:57 pm 
collega cusks

skidbrown wrote:
PUjeeper wrote:
jkirisits wrote:

PU i find this funny as you were pushing the T-Max. I bought it on your advice and have been very pleased with it. If i had the money I'd bought a Warn but so far I'm glad i got what i did :tu2:

t-max is still a good winch. They just did my freind (Hans the guy I put you in touch with about getting your problems worked out with) a very wrong deal. Bascially they told him he was honoring to many warranty claims(even though they come with the warranty) and fierd him on the spot after he had poured all his efforts into trying to get t-max going in the USA. That's why i'm not liking them very much anymore.

As for the whole warn vs. milemarker...maybe that was an extreme example just to make a point.

Other big differences are mostly in line speed.

Also, if it matters, I've got a warn on my Jeep. :elephant:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:52 pm 
mister wiskers

I find myself repeating this a lot. I get employee pricing at warn. The money issue is no longer an issue Buy a Warn. Made by Americans in AMERICA.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:01 pm 
n00b
n00b

The 9000# is on sale at HF until, IIRC, the 6th.

It totaled out at $370.99 including tax, and it came with the universal mounting plate (which I spent about 2 hours doctoring to get just the right fit.

Just curious, what would employee price have been on a Warn 9000# winch.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:51 pm 
mister wiskers

about that.

Post subject: winch
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:57 pm 
Jeeper in IN

i run a warn 8274 their good winches...

Post subject: Re: winch
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:58 pm 
Cliché Master

wizzard wrote:

...are're

Post subject: Re: winch
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:51 am 
Feeds people vomit

jkirisits wrote:
wizzard wrote:

...are're

hehehe that's funny....

Whatever....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:20 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Tuffjarhed wrote:
Buy a Warn. Made by Americans in AMERICA.

word

btw... employee pricing?

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:08 pm 
likes red monkey ass

Tuffjarhed wrote:

Probably not for long though, with the damn unions and such...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:02 am 
Cliché Master

badyjman wrote:
Tuffjarhed wrote:

<--- eatin popcorn

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:12 pm 
Thread Necromancer

badyjman wrote:
Tuffjarhed wrote:

thats only if YOU sell out and buy the chinese knock-off crap and not support your fellow Americans :acclaim:

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:13 pm 
Thread Necromancer

jkirisits wrote:
badyjman wrote:
Tuffjarhed wrote:

<--- eatin popcorn

popcorn?
damn, I went out and bought a shovel, cause I figure its gonna get deep shit

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:06 pm 
mister wiskers

Warn is not a union shop. BF Goodrich, where I work, is. Union has done well for me so far.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:17 am 
Blue Power Ranger

back to the original topic!

I have the Harbor Freight winch. Have had it for almost 2 years.

It works fine, slow, but fine.

Does take a little more maintenance than most, only way to make sure it works, is to cycle it a couple times a month. Liberal lubrication, and don't forget to oil the cable.

You can usually get them for about $250 on sale at Harbor. I paid $239 in Harrisburg, which included the "generic" mounting plate. That landed in the dumpster before leaving the parking lot.

The winch has served me well the couple times I actually needed it. Cleared trees after a tornado, and winched metal product back onto a flat bed in New Jersey.

Warn is undoubtedly rated as the best. It's like a motorcycle helmet, yeah, a cheap one will work, but will it work that ONE REALLY IMPORTANT TIME????

And don't let anyone kid you, ANY winch on a Jeep is for poser status unless you wheel in the jungle or at least 1100 miles west of Indiana.

Blah, blah, C'MON, blah, blah, YOU AND I, blah, blah, ON THE FLOOR, blah, blah, NO CLOTHES, blah, blah, RIGHT NOW

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:12 am 
likes red monkey ass

cactusdawg wrote:
And don't let anyone kid you, ANY winch on a Jeep is for poser status unless you wheel in the jungle or at least 1100 miles west of Indiana.

Do not agree with you there...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:40 am 
greasy gizzard-juice

badyjman wrote:
cactusdawg wrote:

I agreed the entire way through until I read that line. A winch is a major plus for many more things than climbing rocks.

Hell who knows what I'm gonna have from one day to the next so why bother trying to list em.

[/img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/crazy_cooter56/jeeps2.jpg[/img]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:50 pm 
n00b
n00b

kennedy wrote:
badyjman wrote:
Tuffjarhed wrote:

thats only if YOU sell out and buy the chinese knock-off crap and not support your fellow Americans :acclaim:

maybe if the american stuff wasn't marked so damn much that you need to win the lotto to buy it, then we would buy more american products. since i don't do competition 4wheeling, i'll get me a functioning cheap winch and spend the money i save on more important drivetrain parts.

yes i have a harbor freight 9000# on my jeep. i took the money i saved and bought me a SYE w/driveshaft for my lift.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:55 pm 
Feeds people vomit

crazy_cooter56 wrote:
badyjman wrote:
cactusdawg wrote:

I agreed the entire way through until I read that line. A winch is a major plus for many more things than climbing rocks.

Ditto

Whatever....

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech