XJ,MJ, Scout 44 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
somthing else? 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 30

Post subject: So...which to buy?
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:24 am 
Baby puncher

I am trying to decide what rearend to buy...

On one hand there is the ford 8.8. I have read lots of good things about it such as the 31 spline shafts, disc brakes, has the 4.10 gears I need, limited slip, same bolt pattern, and is from what I hear very strong for the type of wheeling and mods I have. Oh, and it is also a c-clip axle.

On the other hand there is the Dana 44. Most likely from an XJ, MJ, or Scout. From what I hear it only has 27 spline shafts, drum brakes, and I don't think the 4.10s were offered in anything other than the Scout. Which would mean I would have to either regear, or change bolt patterns with adapters or wheels.

I am only looking to spend around $200 or less, and re-using my 35's bracketry. I am basically looking for a bolt-in axle, no full-width, no changing wheel sizes, etc...

Post subject: Re: So...which to buy?
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:58 pm 
Cliché Master

mudpuppy wrote:
I am trying to decide what rearend to buy...

On one hand there is the ford 8.8. I have read lots of good things about it such as the 31 spline shafts, disc brakes, has the 4.10 gears I need, limited slip, same bolt pattern, and is from what I hear very strong for the type of wheeling and mods I have. Oh, and it is also a c-clip axle.

On the other hand there is the Dana 44. Most likely from an XJ, MJ, or Scout. From what I hear it only has 27 spline shafts, drum brakes, and I don't think the 4.10s were offered in anything other than the Scout. Which would mean I would have to either regear, or change bolt patterns with adapters or wheels.

I am only looking to spend around $200 or less, and re-using my 35's bracketry. I am basically looking for a bolt-in axle, no full-width, no changing wheel sizes, etc...

the limiting factor is going to be the $200 or less. You might be able to pick up an 8.8 drum for that, unless you luck out with the disc.

the xj, mj 44's were going for 400+ last time i looked.
the scout is the wrong bolt pattern.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:19 pm 
Male nurse in training

A 44 out of an XJ would be hard as hell to find. They only put Dana 44s in XJs in 87.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:42 pm 
likes red monkey ass

I think your best bet is to find a TJ 35, bolt it in for a little over $100, and then save up for an axle swap. That's what I am doing...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:42 pm 
Giggling Little Schoolgirl

he already did that once... but lead foot broke the new rearend and now wants to try and find something a little stronger...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:54 pm 
likes red monkey ass

Sparky wrote:
he already did that once... but lead foot broke the new rearend and meow wants to try and find something a little stronger...

ahhh. Well any axle swap besides a dana 35 is gonna be more than $200. You could try looking for a wrecked TJ with a dana 44 rear end, perhaps a rubicon so you could get a locker in the deal too? But even that would cost more than $200 I would think...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:25 am 
trained to drive the choo choo

The Scout 44 is 32 spline I think, I know a guy who may have one with the 4:10 gears in it, but they are drum brake axles and can be converted to disc.

The bolt pattern is 5 on 5-1/2, like a Ford, so if you go with a hp front 44 from a Bronco you will match front and rear.

There is a kit to get rid of the unit bearings and add hubs/lockouts, that would get you the 5-5.5 pattern to match the rear.
http://www.warn.com/truck/axles/hubconv_kit_5on5.shtml

My mind is like a steel trap, everything that goes in comes out mutilated.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:34 am 
Thread Necromancer

I don't like the 8.8 because its till a C-clip style axle.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:28 am 
mister wiskers

kennedy wrote:

DING DING DING DING WINNER!!!!!

Steel housing D44. Or a 60. Why take broken 1/4 ton stuff out and put in not-broke-yet-1/4 ton stuff?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:54 am 
Cliché Master

Tuffjarhed wrote:
kennedy wrote:

Steel housing D44. Or a 60. Why take broken 1/4 ton stuff out and put in not-broke-yet-1/4 ton stuff?

i still have not seen anyone break an 8.8 (other than me bending an axle shaft)

when working with limited funds, the 8.8 isn't a bad choice. Same bolt pattern, this is about as bolt in as you get, besides a tj 44.

you really need to compare costs with what you are actually using it for.

if you have a v8 and 35" or greater tires, you need a 14 or 60.

with a 4 or 6 cyl, the 8.8 will live just fine. tons of people have done it. out here in the midwest where we don't do that much rock crawling, why over do it with a 60 or 14 that will hang real low and scoop mud. I know you can shave them, but he is working on a limited budget.
I have an 8.8, it has had the hell beat out of it. the weak link so far has been the bent axle shaft, but i slid into a rock going down throttle hill at the badlands, sideways.

keep in mind, this is my opinion only. before you make up your mind, do a cost comparison.

for instance:

8.8 --> $250 (they usually come with no brakes)
calipers, pads, lines, etc... another $200
drive shaft, with the needed converter on the axle --> $150

complete junkyard 60 with new brakes --> about $200
the 60 will be wide, and the wrong bolt pattern.

me, either watch for a complete 8.8 from someone upgrading to a 60.
save for a bolt in 44....

I don't like 44's, i had one lose an axle shaft when i was doing 50 miles per hour down the highway... sucked... i got pics also..

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:31 pm 
Baby puncher

I can get the 8.8 complete with the 4.10's I want and all brakes for $250. From what I've read most can get the 8.8 to work with the stock driveshaft with no mods. Now if someone knows where there is a Scout 44 complete for sale with 4.10s for cheaper than that let me know. And if the scout 44's are really 32 spline than all the better. About the 8.8's c-clip axles, even if one breaks the shaft most likely wont come out, it'll still be held in by the caliper. Not to mention I dont do a whole lot of rock crawling just wheel at giraffe genitals and hopefully the badlands, and I don't plan on going bigger than 33's any time soon. I'm still leaning towards the 8.8, I know any axle is gonna be a lot of work getting the brackets right, which may be harder than I thought using my old ones, but this thing needs to get back on the road!

Last edited by TrailRetard on Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:31 pm 
Baby puncher

oh yeah, for those of you that voted something else, what is your opinion?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:37 am 
mister wiskers

jkirisits wrote:
Tuffjarhed wrote:
kennedy wrote:

i still have not seen anyone break an 8.8 (other than me bending an axle shaft)

when working with limited funds, the 8.8 isn't a bad choice. Same bolt pattern, this is about as bolt in as you get, besides a tj 44.

you really need to compare costs with what you are actually using it for.

if you have a v8 and 35" or greater tires, you need a 14 or 60.

with a 4 or 6 cyl, the 8.8 will live just fine. tons of people have done it. out here in the midwest where we don't do that much rock crawling, why over do it with a 60 or 14 that will hang real low and scoop mud. I know you can shave them, but he is working on a limited budget.
I have an 8.8, it has had the hell beat out of it. the weak link so far has been the bent axle shaft, but i slid into a rock going down throttle hill at the badlands, sideways.

keep in mind, this is my opinion only. before you make up your mind, do a cost comparison.

for instance:

8.8 --> $250 (they usually come with no brakes)
calipers, pads, lines, etc... another $200
drive shaft, with the needed converter on the axle --> $150

complete junkyard 60 with new brakes --> about $200
the 60 will be wide, and the wrong bolt pattern.

me, either watch for a complete 8.8 from someone upgrading to a 60.
save for a bolt in 44....

I don't like 44's, i had one lose an axle shaft when i was doing 50 miles per hour down the highway... sucked... i got pics also..

I understand what you are saying, but keep in mind that the ONLY bolt-on axle he's gonna get is a TJ 44. No, those aren't available for 200. Therefor,all the bracketry and stuff on whatever is the replacement is going to have to be custom made, and I'm pretty sure I know the guy that's gonna do the work. I don't like doing things twice. Out here in the Midwest? Last I checked, Fort Wayne ain't in SOCAL. I don't like mud, but I've done it, and I probably will again. And as far as budgets are concerned, most guys on here have more money in their Daily Driver's than I do in my rig. I know that I am being hard headed on the subject, but as I said, I don't like doing things twice.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:58 am 
Male nurse in training

Lead_Not_Follow wrote:
93XJMan wrote:
A 44 out of an XJ would be hard as hell to find. They only put Dana 44s in XJs in 87.

Not true.

Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some (not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

They arn't impossiable to find, but if you do find one expect to pay $400-500 for one as they are highly desirable among the XJ/MJ guys.

Sweet, thats pretty cool, I did not know that.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:08 pm 
Cliché Master

Tuffjarhed wrote:
jkirisits wrote:
Tuffjarhed wrote:
kennedy wrote:

?

I understand what you are saying, but keep in mind that the ONLY bolt-on axle he's gonna get is a TJ 44. No, those aren't available for 200. Therefor,all the bracketry and stuff on whatever is the replacement is going to have to be custom made, and I'm pretty sure I know the guy that's gonna do the work. I don't like doing things twice. Out here in the Midwest? Last I checked, Fort Wayne ain't in SOCAL. I don't like mud, but I've done it, and I probably will again. And as far as budgets are concerned, most guys on here have more money in their Daily Driver's than I do in my rig. I know that I am being hard headed on the subject, but as I said, I don't like doing things twice.

this is the part i liked the best :tu2:

I know what you are saying about doing things twice. I used an 8.8, it was appropriate at the time. now i want 40" tires, so i am removing the 8.8 and my hugely polished turdy up front, and am installing a 60 in the front and a 14 in the rear (so, i don't need those 4.88 gears installed).
I am doing it twice... if i had only known before.

I still stand by my opinion, that if 35's are max, the 8.8 isn't a bad way to go. especially if you already have rims.

Now that i look back on it, i would have been way money ahead to install a rear 60 or 14 ($50 at a junk yard) and ran adapters/spacers for the front till I got more money.

but, i figured i wouldn't go bigger than 35's.

stupid me...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:40 pm 
Giggling Little Schoolgirl

that is what i am trying to tell him but he doesn't listen... oh well...
that is why i want to buy big and build big so i don't have to spend all that money twice...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:24 am 
Feeds people vomit

Sparky wrote:
that is what i am trying to tell him but he doesn't listen... oh well...
that is why i want to buy big and build big so i don't have to spend all that money twice...

As big as your avatar!!!

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:25 am 
Feeds people vomit

jkirisits wrote:
I know what you are saying about doing things twice. I used an 8.8, it was appropriate at the time. meow i want 40" tires, so i am removing the 8.8 and my hugely polished turdy up front, and am installing a 60 in the front and a 14 in the rear (so, i don't need those 4.88 gears installed).
I am doing it twice... if i had only known before.

I still stand by my opinion, that if 35's are max, the 8.8 isn't a bad way to go. especially if you already have rims.

meow that i look back on it, i would have been way money ahead to install a rear 60 or 14 ($50 at a junk yard) and ran adapters/spacers for the front till I got more money.

but, i figured i wouldn't go bigger than 35's.

stupid me...

40's???? do explain...maybe a new thread?

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Misc 4x4 Tech