Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions

Post subject: first trip to badlands
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:26 am 
Jeeper in IN

alright so im making my first trip to the badlands next weekend any tips or anything on where to go once there

*OLD RED* 1990 xj*4.0*30x9.5x15*(sold)
*ZOMBIE HUNTER*1997 ZJ*5.2*24 lb injectors*msd ignition*taurus cooling fan upgrade*
*OLD WHITE*mud truck*1977*GMC stepside 1 ton*383 stroker*39.5x13.50x16 ss iroks*

Post subject: Re: first trip to badlands
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:48 am 
Mr. Google

1. dont go alone
2. go with someone thats been there before
3. dont expect to come out with your paint in the same condition it went in.
4. dont do burnouts or doughnuts on the cement lolol

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:49 pm 
n00b
n00b

I'm usually the first person to hop on a trip to the Badlands but that's mainly due to my proximity to it. Unfortunately, I'm already committed to the IndyORV run on Sept 10-12 and the Badlands own Guided Trail Ride on Sept 18-19, so I think I'm pretty well booked up on Badlands trips for the month - unless they start offering some sort of season pass!

More than likely when you arrive there will be other Jeepers there of varying sorts and for the most part I've seen a pretty accepting community attitude so if you can join up with another group that'd be best.

No doubt you'll end up in the quarry - that's the SUV-only section - so you'll get to find out why you have skid plates... you DO have skid plates I hope!

The creek is an easy and fun trip, but I discourage going through the tubes in the middle of the creek run.

Never assume that water hole is just a few inches deep! Test it first and not with your Jeep! Last month I almost drove right over the top of a Jeep that was hood deep in a water hole and I only saw the flag 3 feet ahead of me. Ironically, I drove one Jeep width to the left and didn't even get my rims wet! Talk about your shelves!

Have fun, be safe and takes pics!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:31 pm 
Thread Necromancer

jake_blue wrote:
The creek is an easy and fun trip, but I discourage going through the tubes in the middle of the creek run.

Never assume that water hole is just a few inches deep! Test it first and not with your Jeep! Last month I almost drove right over the top of a Jeep that was hood deep in a water hole and I only saw the flag 3 feet ahead of me. Ironically, I drove one Jeep width to the left and didn't even get my rims wet! Talk about your shelves!

You mean like this?

I had been there just 5 days earlier, and it wasn't even a foot deep...

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:43 pm 
Mr. Google

last time i looked at that spot the edges of the metal was pretty gnarly looking.. opted out to save mah tires

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:54 pm 
Jeeper in IN

hahaha dont think ill be doing any burnouts anytime soon lol im going with a couple friends of mine who have side by sides

*OLD RED* 1990 xj*4.0*30x9.5x15*(sold)
*ZOMBIE HUNTER*1997 ZJ*5.2*24 lb injectors*msd ignition*taurus cooling fan upgrade*
*OLD WHITE*mud truck*1977*GMC stepside 1 ton*383 stroker*39.5x13.50x16 ss iroks*

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:00 pm 
freezes his batteries off

If the water is up to the edge of the tubes you don't want to go out of it. If it's down a foot or more you should be ok. They are getting torn up on the exit end with sharp stuff hanging on them. I curled my factory rear bumper end dropping out of there once.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:12 pm 
Male nurse in training

Ya in my number times down at the badlands I have only done the tube's once, only because when I went there after, A. everybody coming out of them was slaming down on the gas tank skid/ rear bumper HARD and B. they are all torn up looking.. Good times though Dan you'll enjoy yourself man. I try to push myself to do a little more harder stuff each time I'm there..

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:32 am 
Pap's mirror

ust make sure if you end up using a spotter an anytime dan... you have 1 spotter telling you where to go not 3 or 4 all at once, and make sure THEY know what they are spotting for.

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:15 pm 
why's everyone afraid of the tubes? Been through them everytime ive gone down...well other than trec races, they dont include them lol

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:22 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

The tubes are hit & miss. I was one of the two jeeps it required to pull Justin's out after he sank it. Since then, I'll go if I get to see somebody else go through just ahead of me. :)

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:06 am 
mr. snuffleupagus

Yes the tubes are hit and miss. I've been out there when it was ankle deep, then a few months later watched a tj go in and it was almost over its hood. Ive seen videos of a cherokee that dropped in and it was up halfway up the windshield. I think they may have back filled it within the last few years though.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:58 pm 
Dirty tranny

i will warn you about the deep ass mudd hole in the middle of the quarry i believe on the right side?(OZZY'S HOLE) thats where i lost my tranny well technically gears i.e.... 1st,2nd,3rd,reverse. but i did have neutral lmao
but was my first time also. next time i want to do a little more rocks, dont let that feeling of " A LITTLE KID IN A CANDY STORE" TAKE OVER!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK , BE SAFE, KEEP THE SHOES ON THE GROUND!

BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:13 am 
n00b
n00b

There's so much more to do then the tubes at Badlands I wouldn't even bother...maybe pull in take a pic and back out...the possible tire damage isn't worth the drop...I don't know your ability or rig ability level but green and creek trails are easy and fun...orange is easy though the back section after the first fire road crossing is getting deep mudholes that you better be lifted on big meats for....there is also another easy trail that runs behind the quarry and around it...your best bet would be to find a small group to hook up with to show you around cause its easy to run in circles looking for the next thing to do...or wait till the 10-12....have fun either way.

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions