Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions

Post subject: Local Trails???
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:07 am 
Jeeper in IN

I originally signed up for this forum a couple years ago searching for some local areas to wheel a little. The consensus at that time was there really wasn't anywhere, but thought I would check again. Badlands, Redbird, and Interlake are all great, but they are a day long or weekend long endeavor. I'm just looking for something local to go bounce through some mudholes, etc. on a whim. Anything out there?

Post subject: Re: Local Trails???
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 am 
Furry Fetish

Where about are you? Argh!

Momma didn't raise no fool.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm 
freezes his batteries off

The only place in Fort Wayne is "castration" in Waynedale. I haven't been there is a couple years. Last I knew some guys got in trouble for being back there. That's why I stay away. It belongs to the railroad.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:23 pm 
Male nurse in training

99stompertj wrote:
The only place in Fort Wayne is "castration" in Waynedale. I haven't been there is a couple years. Last I knew some guys got in trouble for being back there. That's why I stay away. It belongs to the railroad.

Did they? I haven't been there in a couple years too. I was wanting to take the TJ back there if I ever get it to stay in 4 low..i was wondering if people still went back there.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:29 am 
Jeeper in IN

LawMoose wrote:
Where about are you? Argh!

Live near Warren, and work in Hartford City. Anywhere from Muncie to Fort Wayne is what I consider local.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:22 am 
Jeeper in IN

It's a mess back there. I went back there to "test" out my lift a while back. A lot of the trails are really over grown. I would not go in there without a winch or at least another rig to help recovery.

It's illegal and it is owned by the railroad so i guess my best advice is to stay away. It's all on you if you get in trouble. IMHO the only way to really get in trouble is if the railroad turns you in. It's taxes are paid from a third party company owned by Norfolk and Southern out of Peachtree GA.

That said. I believe that people still go back there but not nearly as much as they used to.

I live literally 1 minute away. :) It has a back access road to another street via rail road easement too BTW

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:19 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Personally, I'd avoid railroad property as well. They are protected by some more stringent trespass laws in Indiana. Any trespass is automatically criminal trespass on railroad property.

Looks like the consensus remains that there still isn't much around here. Thanks for your input, though.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 pm 
Male nurse in training

I wish we had stuff..just gotta drive to get to it I guess. better than nothing though right

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:43 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I will add that the ONLY place I have found that is even remotely legal and somewhat fun is Division Rd south of Markle. When it's dry, it's just a gravel road, but if the river comes up and floods the area there are sometimes some mudholes to play in. Still, it's pretty lame. Not really worth a trip unless you happen to be driving by for some other reason.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:51 pm 
Male nurse in training

Can you google map it? There is also a road like that in decatur, all though its all dirt so when it rains its all mud. Its county road 800.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:16 pm 
Jeeper in IN

95YJMan wrote:
Can you google map it? There is also a road like that in decatur, all though its all dirt so when it rains its all mud. Its county road 800.

You are correct about the road in Decatur-- it's 800N right off of Piqua Road. I've never been there, but I have a friend in Decatur that has mentioned it. To get to Division Road, you need to take 224 to the west off of 3 or 69 and then turn left on 200 E, left on 100S and left again on 300E which will T into Division. Again, please, no one make a trip for this. On the other hand, not may people know about this area, so if not for splashing through mud puddles, it is very scenic. I have taken a lot of photos from this area.

MAP LINK -->https://maps.google.com/maps?q=markle+indina&hl=en&ll=40.821214,-85.376215&spn=0.044947,0.104628&sll=40.683616,-85.425339&sspn=0.042958,0.104628&hnear=Indiana+3,+Markle,+Indiana+46770&t=m&z=14

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:25 pm 
Jeeper in IN

08H3 wrote:
I will add that the ONLY place I have found that is even remotely legal and somewhat fun is Division Rd south of Markle. When it's dry, it's just a gravel road, but if the river comes up and floods the area there are sometimes some mudholes to play in. Still, it's pretty lame. Not really worth a trip unless you happen to be driving by for some other reason.

I've been back in there before with some friends years ago. However, that is government ground, so I believe that is another one of those, don't get caught because then you deal with the DNR then.

**SOLD** 1989 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4x4. 251k, unknown miles on '96 4.0 ZJ motor. Black Steel 15x10 Rims with 32x11.50x15 Firestone Firehawk RMT tires. Skyjacker 3" lift coil springs up front and Chevy K1500 add-a-leaf bastard pack in the rear. 2007 JK shocks all around. It's still a work in progress **SOLD**

1999 Chevy Silverado Z71. 5.3L. Magnaflow Cats, Cat-back dual exhaust, el conquistador Super Duty snowplow

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4 Dr., 3.5L, bone stock

2006 Honda TRX450ER quad, bone stock

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:43 pm 
Jeeper in IN

FamousLee wrote:
08H3 wrote:

I've been back in there before with some friends years ago. However, that is government ground, so I believe that is another one of those, don't get caught because then you deal with the DNR then.

I'm sorry if anyone thought I was suggesting to just go romping around wherever. I'm speaking strictly of staying on the roads. Those are public county roads.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:04 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

You are talking about 7-arm'd lady

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:44 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Alpine wrote:
You are talking about 7-arm'd lady

????

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 am 
Jeeper in IN

What are the laws about old railroad land that's had the tracks taken out? Has that been turned over or sold to adjacent land owners or still kind of owned (but abandoned) by the railroads? I live about 5 miles north of Huntington and on my country block (800N) there is still a trail of an old abandoned railroad track behind my house about 1/4 mile. Without google mapping it I know it runs from 700N east of SR5 because I go under the train bridge, there's also a bridge south of 800N/600W and it goes all the way to Bippus and beyond.

SoWW #2485
Cave Putorium!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:19 am 
Male nurse in training

You should google map it, this sounds cool!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:07 am 
Jeeper in IN

I became somewhat self taught on this subject out of necessity. One of our farms has an active Norfolk Southern Line, an abandoned parallel Union Traction Co. line and an AEP line that runs across it. We did have some people who felt the power line right of way and the abandoned tracks were public property. In our case it is not, so I would be careful and either ask the adjacent land owners or go to the courthouse and find out. In Indiana, any trespass on railroad property is automatic criminal trespass, so if the railroad still owns it, you cold be asking for trouble. In our case, the abandoned line is 100% owned by us. That property was sold to the landowners at the time back in the 1940's. As far as power lines go, that's not public either. We own the land the power lines set on, however AEP owns an easement which is very specific on its scope. It is strictly for maintaining the lines and it can not be reassigned. For example, if a line worker wants to take his Jeep out and run them, he can't legally. That's outside the scope of the easement. To further complicate matters, there is a Federal program called rail banking which sets aside non-used lines for potential future use. Not sure how that affecte ownership, but once the federal government gets involved, everything gets unnecessarily complicated.

Sorry to sound like the curmudgeonly old man spoiling everyone's fun, but I've done a decent amount of research on the topic.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:30 am 
Jeeper in IN

08H3 wrote:

Sorry to sound like the curmudgeonly old man spoiling everyone's fun, but I've done a decent amount of research on the topic.

No, that's what I was wondering. Thanks for the clarification.

I know when I was a kid living west of Rochester there was an abandoned RR line that I used to ride my bicycle and dirtbike through as a shortcut to get to the other side of the country block. I was never stopped...but of course you'd have to be looking for me and I was very quiet on my bicycle, and my dirtbike was in and out in no time. I never thought twice about it. Jeepin it however might be a lot different. ;)

SoWW #2485
Cave Putorium!

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Wheeling, Offroad Events, Land Use, Competitions