Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: my 4" lift pfroject
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:43 pm 
Jeeper in IN

just going to be a write up about everything im doing im sure you guys have seen or done this many times but this tread will be for me to show you guys pictures of my progress and for me to ask questions if i run into any problems. but my first question is about extended break lines. i need them since i dont run any sway bars any suggestions on which kind i should get?

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post subject: Re: my 4" lift pfroject
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:27 pm 
Jeeper in IN

this is the kit i bought
my two inch lift (that is for sale) only have the fronts out right now the rear will be later this week

my front coils and shocks removed

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:44 pm 
mister wiskers

Barto's/Fort Wayne Ovaltrack Supply has ALL you need for extended brake lines. You will probably only have to extend the fronts and reroute the rear line. You can buy the pieces there cheaper than buying a kit. Also, you may want to budget a Slip Yoke Eliminater, if ya don't yet have one. Seems like they all react differently, but you may need it.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:48 pm 
Wears purple gloves

P.M. me when you want to go out for the brake lines. I am in the same boat with my jeep. Looking at extended lines and had them all picked out and was ready to click BUY when topper said " build em yourself for less $". Now I have more work on my hands whip Then he said something about driving a jeep up a waterfall or somthin......

Anyway, I think i'll head over this week either Wed or Thurs and take a look.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7
1992 Toyota 4runner []
[color=#FFFFFF]1983 Jeep CJ5 258 I6 4 speed

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:46 pm 
Jeeper in IN

today i finally started real work on it. took off the trac bar at the axle housing (just sitting there now more work later) then went to get pitman arm off thats where im stuck. the drag link side is off but i cant get it off at the gear box any suggestions?

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:53 pm 
gear puller and oxy, sedeline torch

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:21 pm 
I have pitman arm puller, Ill be at pizza hut if you want me to bring it, if you or someone helping is goin to be there.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:08 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Crank the pitman arm puller as tight as you can get it, then smack the end of the pitman arm, right between the forks of the puller with a large hammer

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works.
'08 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins, 4x4
'78 GMC 4x4 short bed
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:09 pm 
Thread Necromancer

oh yeah, if you use a torch, you gotta be super careful not to damage the output seal on the gear box...

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:40 pm 
kennedy wrote:
oh yeah, if you use a torch, you gotta be super careful not to damage the output seal on the gear box...

what he said

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:05 pm 
Pervert Row

I was gonna do my own hoses on the CJ...Quadratec was a better way to go IMO...I built some for the racecar and it wasn't really that cheap and was more parts and connections to leak/go wrong...

'98 Xj - Call it anything, but a Chero-Car... :flipoff2:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:28 pm 
Wears purple gloves

I ended up going and pricing hoses for the jeep. Cost would be about $10 cheaper than the nice 5 layer brakes on Qtec and weren't as nice. I think I will end up going with Qtec stuff. Plus. the other brake lines weren't DOT approved (if you care) while the ones on Qtec are.

1992 Toyota 4runner []

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:57 pm 
Jeeper in IN

kennedy wrote:
Crank the pitman arm puller as tight as you can get it, then smack the end of the pitman arm, right between the forks of the puller with a large hammer

tried that with zero success. its been sprayed many times today with anti seize (sp?) so im going to give it another try...as for the torch i probably wont try that to many things to go wrong. if it comes down to it a good old saw zaw and ill cut that bitch out. dont need it anyway lol

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:12 pm 
idk i bet with as sezed on as that is you will need a little heat on it. i heated almost every nut to get it off. and when i took the heat off i only had like a min at most and i had to reheat it. and mine wasn't that coroded. i might be able to help ya if greasy sphincter doing it saturday morning. i have the same lift you bought i can bring mine over so you can look at it.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:09 am 
Wears purple gloves

Heat will work in small doses. Just be smart about it when you use it. you might try loc-tites new freeze stuff. I would be interested to see how that works as well.

1992 Toyota 4runner []

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:15 am 
Thread Necromancer

if you do have to resort to heating it, be sure to only heat the pitman arm, not the shaft

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:27 am 
Jeeper in IN

well i got some stuff acomplished last night. so far i have both front coils and lower contorl arms one shock drilled the new hole for the trac bar...as for the pitman arm still no luck after messing with it all day i took a second look at the puller to find out it was bent :doh: its just a rental though so no big loss if they dont have another rental set ill just buy one i think i saw them at advanced for about $15 the only problem i have is getting to advanced my parents woke me up at six told me they were going gambling and i had to stay at home to wait for a water softner to be delivered so im stuck here for a min. hope to have this thing done tonight!

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:51 pm 
Jeeper in IN

well spent 10 hours on it today and still not finished but i did manage to get the front completly done. as for the rear both coils are in both lower control arms trac bar relocation bracket are installed but the problems i ran into that made me quit for the night driver side shock thats bolted to the frame i broke one bolt off. passenger side broke one bolt other one is rounded i dont know what to do its beyond my knowledge brandon told me to heat it but that is right by the gas tank i dont have any experience heating something like that and dont feel comfortable doing it. if it wasnt for those three bolts i'd be done with my lift but they had to go and break! as for tomorrow ill be putting in the transfer case drop kit and hopefully figure something out

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:17 pm 
heat up the rounded one, grab it with a pair of vicegrips if ya dont have any easy outs, and get it out. As for the broken ones, drill and tap

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 pm 
Jeeper in IN

nobarrierz wrote:
heat up the rounded one, grab it with a pair of vicegrips if ya dont have any easy outs, and get it out. As for the broken ones, drill and tap

the rounded one is to close to the frame cant get anything up there

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:28 pm 
04willys wrote:
nobarrierz wrote:

the rounded one is to close to the frame cant get anything up there

cant fit vice grips up there?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 am 
Jeeper in IN

nope

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:11 pm 
needs to be heated with oxy sedeline torch red hot then grab onto the bolt with vise grips fromt the top and try that first. if that doesn't work the bolts that are spot welded on the top need cut off with sawsall and jus get new bolts and add a nut since he has a body lift you can get to the to very easily. easy out will not work the bolt is only about 1/4" thick not enough to drill a hole in. anouther possibility is to drill it out and re-tap it. but then again it would be very hard to get a drill in there and a pain in the ass. so if anyone has a torch that could help him out would be best solution first.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 pm 
Jeeper in IN

ive got the drill and long enough bit for it just going to drill and retap tomorrow i refuse to use torch. friend of mine his step dad just burnt down his garage and nearly blew himself up doing something similar and he's an experienced mechanic but thanks for the help man doubt i would of got nearly as far with out you guys :tu2:

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:43 pm 
Jeeper in IN

back to my brake lines now will something like this be what im looking for?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22707_103.htm

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:50 pm 
Pap's mirror

04willys wrote:
ive got the drill and long enough bit for it just going to drill and retap tomorrow i refuse to use torch. friend of mine his step dad just burnt down his garage and nearly blew himself up doing something similar and he's an experienced mechanic but thanks for the help man doubt i would of got nearly as far with out you guys :tu2:

i take it, it was the one downtown? yup he almost burnt down my dads shop. you gotta remember tho lance common sense goes a long ways. he shouldnt have had that gas tank off the car sitting on the ground next to where he was working. ppl do what you need to do everyday. it is actually common practice. maybe not the smartest thing to do but it is done all the time....with all that said if the drill and tap doesnt work, let me know. i have a small torch set and i can give ya a hand

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:55 pm 
my second cousins dad owned that shop. it was a lease to own to anouther guy when it all happened.

like mike said though if done right there is no need to fear a torch. we have one at the shop that is used daily. couldn't do much without it. its not easy however to drill though a bolt. but hopefully you find somthin to work.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 pm 
Jeeper in IN

PapsOldDually wrote:
04willys wrote:

i take it, it was the one downtown? yup he almost burnt down my dads shop. you gotta remember tho lance common sense goes a long ways. he shouldnt have had that gas tank off the car sitting on the ground next to where he was working. ppl do what you need to do everyday. it is actually common practice. maybe not the smartest thing to do but it is done all the time....with all that said if the drill and tap doesnt work, let me know. i have a small torch set and i can give ya a hand

i dont believe that was the same shop cant say where it was exactly but i beileve that was like week after that shop your talking burnt down but i could be wrong all i know about the shop is it was also a dealer ship but then again not positive if thats where the dealership was or if thats just where they worked on the cars and the lot was somewhere else

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:15 am 
ya, like mike said, common sense goes a long way. Torches are very useful, just watch what your torching and whats around. I had to use one today on mine to get a bolt holding the old roll bar in out. It was seized pretty good so i went from underneath the tub with a propane torch for a little while and got'er out

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:08 pm 
Jeeper in IN

some pictures of my progress so far

front stance

side view

drop pitman

rear coils installed

and the busted shock bolt

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:30 pm 
Giggling Little Schoolgirl

go and get a long skinny punch, put punch on end of broken bolt (shinny side) and smack with hammer till welded nut pops off... replace with bolt and nut.
i had the same issue with mine, replaced broken bolts with new bolts/nuts and was good to go...

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:48 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Sparky wrote:
go and get a long skinny punch, put punch on end of broken bolt (shinny side) and smack with hammer till welded nut pops off... replace with bolt and nut.
i had the same issue with mine, replaced broken bolts with new bolts/nuts and was good to go...

how strong of a tac weld is that?

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:44 pm 
its not that bad, just holds it in place. just a good thing you have the body lift so you can actually get to the top of the nut. if ya want i can help ya again to finish it up call if ya do.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:59 am 
Jeeper in IN

well i ended up drilling and tapping one broken bolt. started on the other side and didnt go as smoothly cuz of the gas tank being in the way. took a chisel and knocked the bolts off so ill just replace them with a new bolt and lock nut. as for the rest of the work that needs done just have to put in the new shocks put the trac bar back in take it to get it alligned and extended brake lines

and i ordered rubicon express front and rear extended lines hopefully they show up alot sooner than my lift did!

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:09 pm 
Jeeper in IN

my goofy dad......hes retired and doesnt mind me giving him something to do so i asked him to go the the the hardware store and pick me up some bolts for the rear shocks one side i can use the oem tac welded nut so he got me an identical bolt to go in there. for the other side the oem nuts arent there so i told him i didnt care if he got me the same thread size but instead of picking me up three of the same bolts he got one that fits oem and the other two are WAY to big they dont even come close to fitting in the mounting hardware lol so another day the jeep will sit hopefully tomorrow i can finish this thing up

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:04 pm 
i would get stainless bolts. wont rust in case you ever want to take em back out.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:16 pm 
Jeeper in IN

boarderbm wrote:
i would get stainless bolts. wont rust in case you ever want to take em back out.

he did just wrong size but he did get me a bottle of anti seize. cant mess that order up :tu2:

dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 am 
Male nurse in training

Sparky wrote:

This is what I plan on doing with mine, when I lift it, for the people that are still active on here. Does this sound like a good plan? Sounds really easy and I have a 1 inch body lift so I don't think I will have a problem getting to them..

Post Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:03 am 
Giggling Little Schoolgirl

it works fine... if you have a long snout air hammer its easy to get the welded nuts off.....

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Sparky wrote:
it works fine... if you have a long snout air hammer its easy to get the welded nuts off.....

You said "welded nuts"

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:00 am 
Male nurse in training

Sparky wrote:

I have an air hammer but don't have anything to go with it. For now I have my BFH and misc bars to hit the welded nuts and broke bolt with. Hopefully that will be the only snag with the lift if the TJ does want me to have a snag.

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos