Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: Sheet Steel Bending
 Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:28 pm 
Mr. Google

Im thinking of fabbing my own skids...

but,,,,

I have no way of bending steel.

is there someoen here that has a brake i could come use?

and maybe a torch to cut out access holes on on of the sheets to get to oil drain plug and such?

Im just doing homework on this at this point. trying to plot and to plan..

Post subject: Re: Sheet Steel Bending
 Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:26 pm 
vise
hammer
2x4's
vise grips

that should do it. lol

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:30 pm 
Mr. Google

well thats an answer!!! thanks ill try that.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:35 pm 
just saying man, everything i do is on a budget. i found this is the easiest way to do it and i dont have to pay anyone, it would be nice if someone on the forum did have one tho.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:39 pm 
Mr. Google

oh believe me!!! i know all about budget!

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:33 pm 
Pap's mirror

yeah im thinkin there are a lot of tools around this board for use but no brakes that i have seen.

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:01 am 
I don't think the vice/2x4/vice grip method will work for plate heavy enough for skids. My neighbor owns a sheet metal business, and when I saw his shop, I had to hide my hardon! He has a 60 ton, 18 foot press brake! :eek2: He has told me I can come use stuff, but I haven't yet. :acclaim:

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:12 am 
Mr. Google

most of the high end skids that are for sale for KJs are 3/8" for the sake of budget and malleability im thinking about doing .188 but i wont know for sure until i have a piece of that in hand to decide if its thick enough.

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:51 am 
Tang Soo

I have bent pretty big stuff using a shop press, heavy gauge steel as a guide and heat it with a torch and bend it...not pretty but can be done and made pretty...

i dont know anyone with a brake big enough to bend 3/8...

Branik has a brake that will bend smaller gauge sheet steel and aluminum, but not 3/8...

mac 'sometimes its worth it just buy em' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 am 
Mr. Google

i dont reallyt hink i want or need 3/8" to be honest.. i was just referencing that because its "what the big boys run"

thats why i really think the .188 will be enough to protect me from a good hit.. I might also ask around and see if i can aquire a couple decomissioned road signs.. those shouldbe strong enough from what ive heard..

still exploring options right now.

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:56 am 
Pap's mirror

geekyjeep wrote:
i dont reallyt hink i want or need 3/8" to be honest.. i was just referencing that because its "what the big boys run"

thats why i really think the .188 will be enough to protect me from a good hit.. I might also ask around and see if i can aquire a couple decomissioned road signs.. those shouldbe strong enough from what ive heard..

still exploring options right meow.

na. not even close in my opinion. that stuff is pretty weak. when ya can grab it and bend it in half with your hands its not strong enough for skids.

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:56 am 
Mr. Google

so, whaddya reccomend..

skid rows for the libby run in the 250-300 range for just one piece of 4..

mopars are $300 for the set. but are quite anemic.
keep in mind thats a KK not a KJ mine has the gas tank at the bac, no spare tire underneath and the exhaust runs on the passenger side.

this is what id liek to do..
i have yet to get it up in the air and check angles and look for moutn points or take measurements.. but right now im just trying to figure out how to do the hardest part.. which is bend the steel.

then ill look at costs..

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:39 pm 
spackled

I'd have to agree with Paps, .188 is pretty thin. It could be done though, with some ribbing or carefully planned stiffeners, (1 x 1 angle iron welded layed flat on the top side, where space permits). If you look at the the pics posted above you can see that the thinner steel they used has a lot of ribbing stamped into it.

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:18 pm 
Mr. Google

done some homework.. ( seriously i do research this stuff) 3/16" = .1875 ( lets call it .188)

now everyone say DUH..

now..

skidrow makes these

http://www.skidplates.com/Front_02_KJ.asp

which are similar to what i want to make but more expensive than i can afford now.

those are 3/16 with what looks like a 1.5" bent lip all around..

if you think that 3/16 isnt enough.. and doing 1" or maybe even 1/2" angle iron as reinforcement is enough i wouldnt even need to do the bends.. i could just use the angle iron as reinforcements..

i have a welder and grinder/cutoff so as long as i have the general shape made i can do teh welding myself..

hmmmm

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:52 pm 
Pap's mirror

geekyjeep wrote:
done some homework.. ( seriously i do research this stuff) 3/16" = .1875 ( lets call it .188)

meow everyone say DUH..

meow..

skidrow makes these

http://www.skidplates.com/Front_02_KJ.asp

which are similar to what i want to make but more expensive than i can afford meow.

those are 3/16 with what looks like a 1.5" bent lip all around..

if you think that 3/16 isnt enough.. and doing 1" or maybe even 1/2" angle iron as reinforcement is enough i wouldnt even need to do the bends.. i could just use the angle iron as reinforcements..

i have a welder and grinder/cutoff so as long as i have the general shape made i can do teh welding myself..

hmmmm

i would say 3/16 would be fine. street signs are not that thick tho. they be thin and weak. i am building very slowlymy own rock rails for my JK. it be 3/16 steel diamond plate. :o

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:24 pm 
PapsOldDually wrote:

street signs are not that thick tho. they be thin and weak.

agree plus, most street signs are aluminum.

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:26 pm 
Mr. Google

i had heard mention on the KJ forums of guys getting ahold of street signs ( legally) and using them.. because theyre cheap easy large sheets of aluminum.

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:59 pm 
Perhaps, but they would be more for show than function! They might save you from that nasty parking block at the mall!

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:51 am 
Jeeper in IN

Fort Wayne Fabrication on Freeman st. . They are in the phone book. I'd bet they would not have a problem with your material.

Don't know what the cost would be. I had a piece of 1/2 aluminum that I had 2 bends made. They charged me $25.

I would just have your shit together when you go in. Call them first to make sure they would have time.

I would make cardbord templates so you have the angles and mounting holes. Then go to c henrey and get your plate, cut it to size and then go get it bent. FWF can also punch holes as well...

Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:26 pm 
Mr. Google

excellent.. i thihnk this weekend ill spend osme time on my back with soem cardboard.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:33 pm 
Thread Necromancer

philbert001 wrote:
.....60 ton, 18 foot press brake!

this

alot of larger fab/milright shops will have equipment that can do what you need.
I know of atleast two places in Kokomo that can bend up to atleast 1", and I'm sure that Ft. Wayne has to have more than that..

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos