Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: Project "Free-ish Fuel"
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:27 am 
Baby puncher

Here's my plan: Converting used/waste motor oil, or WMO to fuel for the Cummins. I've done a bit of research and am still in the planning and accumulating parts phase but I'm trying to keep the costs of this project to a minimum. I figure at least I'll need a 1" electric fluid pump, 2 55 gallon drums, misc hoses, and a filtering station. The oil I've already started collecting and currently have about 15 gallons. My plan is for one drum to contain the dirty oil, being roughly filtered before it even enters the barrel. The pump suction tube will be mounted around 4 inches from the bottom, to try and keep from sucking up water that settles to the bottom of the oil. Pumping the oil through at least 3 filters, probably a 10, 5, and 2 micron filter, and then into the other drum, where it will be mixed with roughly 60% diesel fuel. Ideally i'd need to heat the oil before filtration, and have considered using an electric water heater. The filters and blocks to mount them are the main cost factors so far, and I'm even considering using filter bags and just letting gravity do the work.

Post subject: Re: Project "Free-ish Fuel"
 Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:36 am 
Male nurse in training

You want my used oil?

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:01 am 
Baby puncher

sure. as long as it doesn't have coolant in it. motor oil, trans fluid, hydraulic fluid, gear oil...all good!!

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:07 am 
Male nurse in training

lol oops Boogers and shit!!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:06 pm 
Jeeper in IN

awesome project...make it happen.

I've looked into the diesel to veggie oil conversion...looks like 2 tanks are needed on the truck ...start it up with diesel, then switch tanks and cruise on the veggie oil. There may need to be a heater on the veggie tank ...and a water separator...or maybe something like that.
Check out the moroso oil pan heaters

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:49 am 
Baby puncher

I got my barrels today, Thanks Topper!, bought my pump and dollies last week. Going shopping tomorrow for my pipe, fittings, and rubber hoses.
Drew: hopefully I shouldn't have to mess with tank heaters with the mixture i'll be running in my truck. Also, I plan to filter it very well before it even hits the tank.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:05 pm 
Dirty tranny

great idea nick!!!!! got oil for ya, call me 466-4695 i am off during the day usually up until 3pm

BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:59 am 
Baby puncher

well here's my progress so far. got the pump wired and mounted, all the piping bought and fitted, filters and mounts fitted.

The filters are all WIX, starting with 15 micron, to a 10 micron w/water separator, then to a 6 micron. Roughly filtered (screen) Dirty oil will be pumped from barrel A through the 3 filters into barrel B, where it will be mixed with diesel fuel. Then when ready it will be pumped from barrel B back through the 3 filters before it goes into the truck's fuel tank. Both barrels are setup on a frame made with 1000lb furniture dollies so it is mobile.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:30 am 
Thread Necromancer

cool

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works.
'08 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins, 4x4
'78 GMC 4x4 short bed
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 am 
Baby puncher

well after trying with no luck to get some oil pumped, I realized I had to change my pipe routing. so I added a T to the top above the pumo, added a ball valve and a 90 and put a funnel on top so I could prime the pump. It worked for a short while, probably got 5 to 10 gallons pumped...but I can't get it to keep suction. I guess now I either try a new pump, and reroute all the plumbing again...or try a new pickup tube

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:29 am 
Feeds people vomit

Is that a "water" pump? If so, the impeller won't last too long in the oil, I have a buddy that had one custom milled out of aluminum for his bio diesel project.

I'd be nervous running used motor oil and tranny fluid, i know it'll burn fine, but that junks filled with TINY metal shavings.....just scares me

I've got a buddy that converts used vegetable oil (deep fryer oil) into bio diesel by washing it, heating it, reacting it with methanol and lye...ends up being about $1.20 /gal if he gets the oil for free. I can get you in contact if you're interested.

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:31 pm 
Baby puncher

I got the pump working fine, it actually has a brass impeller, pumped and filtered about 25 gallons in just a few minutes. I'm filtering it down to 6 microns. No production engine filters that fine for either fuel or oil.

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos