Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos

Post subject: TJ Replacement Frame
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:11 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Thought I'd post in here to get maximum coverage.

My 97 TJ's frame is rusting out on the right front behind the wheel. Took it to a body shop to have it looked at and he found a couple more areas that are starting to rust on it too and steered me away from just getting the one spot repaired saying I should just get a new or used frame. Said he'd swap it over for about $1500 since I don't have the tools or really the time to do it.

So, where can I find a decent TJ frame? I really don't want to go spend $10k on an okay used TJ when mine is still running just fine (with 200k miles) and I know what makes her tick. She's my baby...lol.

SoWW #2485
Cave Putorium!

Post subject: Re: TJ Replacement Frame
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:58 pm 
Male nurse in training

only place I really know of to get a frame would be Davey's Jeeps.. thats in ohio. They seem to have decent prices on frames. I have bought parts from them before and was pretty happy.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:45 am 
Jeeper in IN

Honestly depending on the amount of rust I would just fix it. You can actually make it stronger.

Talk to get bent customs and see what Matt would charge. He will do a great job and i'd bet be cheaper than any yahoo out there.

If you do find a frame and get it swapped I might be interested in your old one. Might chop it up and fix it for a crawler project that I don't have money or time for. LOL!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:19 pm 
Tang Soo

Dirty Dan would either have one or know where to get one.

mac 'the jeep junk yard has been gone in wabash for a long time :( 'gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Who is this "Dirty Dan" you speak of?

I called D&B Sales in Wabash and he did have one...but for a 4 cylinder. I need a 6 banger frame.

One thing I've found is there are no new aftermarket frames for a TJ (yet). I looked at 4WD, JC Whitney, Quadratec, and a couple other places...and if you have a YJ or old CJ you're golden because they make brand new frames. No TJ's though. Of course their brand new frames were running in the $1800-$2800 range.

Talking with a buddy now who may have an idea for repairing it...adding steel and welding it over. Sounds like it might just work.

I'll look into Get Bent and Davey's too.

Thanks!

SoWW #2485
Cave Putorium!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:34 am 
Tang Soo

CALL DAN AT 2607603298

He builds/rebuilds jeeps. Has a shop out by GM

mac 'its a good dirty' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:52 pm 
freezes his batteries off

See my post in your other post section. Auto Rust Technicians sells frame repair sections!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:08 pm 
Pap's mirror

I have a welder also and can glue that back together for ya if dan doesnt have a frame or if matt(getbent) cant get ya in.

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:40 am 
Jeeper in IN

PapsOldDually wrote:
I have a welder also and can glue that back together for ya if dan doesnt have a frame or if matt(getbent) cant get ya in.

Thanks Pap! I have a lead that I'm working but will keep you in mind if it falls through. :cheers:

SoWW #2485
Cave Putorium!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:52 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

macgyvr wrote:
CALL DAN AT 2607603298

He builds/rebuilds jeeps. Has a shop out by GM

mac 'its a good dirty' gyvr

Dirty Dan's a good guy. Give him a call!

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Board index » General Offroading Forums » Projects, Build Threads, Pictures, Videos