Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)

Post subject: New engine needed 97 Tj - 2.5 4 cylinder
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:17 am 
Jeeper in IN

I am going to be needing a new 2.5 for my TJ here pretty soon. I thought I would come to you guys to see if you knew of any places in Indiana that specializes in rebuilt motors for a jeep. I can do the work, I am just looking for the short or long block.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Post subject: Re: New engine needed 97 Tj - 2.5 4 cylinder
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:53 pm 
Likes redheads from Disneyworld

maybe you can get something from Jasper Engines. I know there are a lot of distributors/installers in Indiana.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:22 pm 
Male nurse in training

Will a 2.5L out of a YJ work in it? If so I know where you can get one. Not sure of the miles or if it runs though.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:29 am 
Tang Soo

tommy_chunk wrote:
maybe you can get something from Jasper Engines. I know there are a lot of distributors/installers in Indiana.

as my uncle sez...

J is for Jasper and J is for Junk

mac 'y you think you need a new motor' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:18 am 
we install jasper products and havent had a problem yet. When i worked at ODZ they installed some there too and never saw a problem. Saw more Russ Moore transmissions come back than Jasper transmissions, and dont think we ever saw a Jasper engine come back. They are pricey though.

If it just needs rebuilt, why not go that route and save a bunch?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:29 pm 
spackled

"If it just needs rebuilt, why not go that route and save a bunch?"
Can't drive it while greasy sphincter rebuidin'.

If you're interested, I can dig up the info on the 2.5 rebuild I did in my '87 Comanche. (Clifford cam, ported head, etc., really woke it up.)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:31 pm 
Male nurse in training

AMXtogo wrote:

If you're interested, I can dig up the info on the 2.5 rebuild I did in my '87 Comanche. (Clifford cam, ported head, etc., really woke it up.)

I would be interested Boogers and shit!!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:35 pm 
spackled

Give me a couple of days to dig it up, and I will post it back on here. (brands, part numbers, etc.)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:40 pm 
AMXtogo wrote:

No, but your without your jeep for a week tops if theres no major issue, and you can save hundreds of dollars. Is it the only vehicle to drive? If so, maybe borrow a vehicle from someone with an extra for a few days, or hitch a ride to work. If everything internal is good, and just needs overhauled it could be done in a weekend. Rebuilding would be the longest part. Pulling a jeep 4cyl shouldnt be difficult at all.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:57 pm 
Jeeper in IN

That would be great.

Thank you!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:41 am 
spackled

OK, I'm a little slow getting this posted, but here is what I can remember, or have receipts for:
The basic goal was a budget, DIY rebuild with a little better performance, halfway between the stock 2.5s 110 HP and the 4.0s 190 HP. I used brand name parts as much as possible. In order to get this improvement, changes were made for better breathing and a better ignition system. Better breathing was accomplished with a Clifford 264H cam. This cam has just a little lope to it at idle, but not objectionable and really wakes up the 2.5 from 1500 RPM on up. I originally bought Cliffords cam kit, but ended up returning most of the other components because the didn't fit my engine, (differences between various years of 2.5s?). On the other end, a performance muffler was used. Next time I would also add a high flow cat. The last step may sound a little intimidating, but it really wasn't difficult. I ported and gasket matched the head and manifolds. This took about 8 hours with a cheap air powered die grinder and two carbide burrs. (point tip and round tip, 1/2" dia.) The purpose of the porting is not to remove a lot of material, but to smooth out any bumps in the intake and exhaust passages, particularly around the valve stems and at the transition between the head casting and the intake and exhaust manifolds. The ignition was upgraded with a Jacobs OmniPak system.
The machine work was done by my local NAPA machine shop and included a .030" over-bore for the pistons, the crank journals were not re-sized as they measured within stock specks and had a nice polished finish to them already. The head was milled just enough to insure it was flat and received a 3 angle valve grind.
The following parts were used;
Clevite pistons, Perfect Circle rings, all bearings were Clevite (I tried Federal Mogul, but they didn't fit right), a stock Melling oil pump, the Clifford 264H cam. I'm not sure about the push rods, but I think they were also from Clifford and were 1/16" longer than stock, #97-2802. The original valves were ground and reused. The rest of the valve train components were replaced with Sealed Power replacement parts for the 2.5, with the exception of the valve springs and keepers which were sourced from the Sealed Power catalog to fit the Jeep 2.5 head without machining and provide a higher spring presure at both open and closed heights to prevent valve float. The part numbers for these are VS1461 for the springs and VK144R for the keepers. All gaskets were Fel-Pro. I think the timing chain was from Sealed Power and the chain tensioner and wear blocks were only available from Mopar. All of the sensors were replaced.
The "seat of the pants" dyno says it's pretty close to the goal of 150 HP. I can chirp the tires in the first three gears and it's just fun to drive. It feels like it has quite a bit more power than the 2.5 in my daughters '97 TJ. The only other change I would have liked would be to use the sequential port fuel injection from a '91 or newer Jeep. (mine was an '87 with a throttle body system)
As far as the "budget" part of this, I spent about $1500 total on this rebuild. The savings were in doing all of the dis-assembly, inspection and re-assembly in my garage. The only labor not done by me was the machine work. While $1500 may not sound cheap, It only cost a few $100 more than a stock rebuild and should be good for at least another 150K to 200K miles and about 40 to 50 extra ponies.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)