Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)

Post subject: Engine swap questions
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:43 am 
Jeeper in IN

Alright i gat a 97 jeep wrangler 5 speed 2.5 4 banger. . . I want to upgrade to the 6cyl. Would like to know will a 6cyl out of a grand charokie work? With the ecm. If someone els has allready dont this let me know what you did. And cost.

I want a used engine and a am going to re build it and stroke it. And tanmission i think i will but new. Transfer case not to sure yet dont know what they run.

I think i want an enging out of the newer modles with out the dis cap. I dont know if it will work. Let me know

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Engine swap questions
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:06 pm 
spackled

As long as you get the ECM and the entire engine wiring harness to go with it, you should be close. I would also recomend getting the factory shop manuals for the year of your Jeep and also the year of the donor vehicle. You will undoubtedly have some wiring differences to sort out. As far trans and t-cases, I think they had different models available. Most important would be to make sure everything together would not be to long for your short wheelbase.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:24 pm 
Tang Soo

becareful with computers. the grand computers have some security crap in them that may keep stuff from working/running. we did this a loooooooong time ago with rosco's tj going from a 4banger to a 4.0.

you will also have to cut the 4cyl motor mounts off the frame and move them as they are welded in a different location on the 6cyl frame.

mac 'for starters' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:15 pm 
My 96' Grand has the 42re trans and the np242j transfer case. I have an extra np242j sittin around. $300 if you end up needing one.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)