Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)

Post subject: Would you do it?
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:20 pm 
Male nurse in training

I pulled my front axle shafts tonight in the YJ to replace the front u-joints, but my question is once I got them out, the joints seem pretty solid like there isn't any play in them when I wiggle them around. Would you replace them for the fact that they have been on there since 95 probbly or just leave them until they do actually go bad? And if I do leave them I haven't pulled them for nothng because I'm putting in those fancy outter seal deals...

Post subject: Re: Would you do it?
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:38 pm 
if there is no play in them, put them back in and save your time and money little budy, if it anit broke dont fix it.

keep the new ones with you just incase, but as much as you wheel, i dont see them needing to be changed.

i think my fronts are bad, if you want to do them tho. just saying. :eyebrows:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:45 pm 
That's just crazy if they are already out why not do them.like he said they are the original joints.It's not like they cost a gang of money?I take mine in to Fort Wayne Clutch though,saves the Jeeps knuckles and your own :)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:54 pm 
thats was just my 2 cents on it and thats what i would do. Allen is a big boy and can decide for himself if he wants to or not.

this is Allen we are talking about, he takes his axle shafts out just for fun and to see how it all works. infact this is the the 3rd time this month he has had them out. lol

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:47 am 
True this is Allen, but if they had play in them on the Jeep they are still bad just cause they feel fine off the Jeep.Besides 15 year old joints should be changed IMO.Sounds like preventative maintenance to me.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:56 am 
Male nurse in training

ok first of all you animal fukkers Its not like its hard to remove my front axle shafts because they have been out before and everything has been anti siezed. I mean it took no more then 20 minutes to get everything off.

and second of all, if I don't wheel enough for you then, lets start going to the badlands once a mouth this year. How does that sound ryan? Mr.Jacobs? giraffe genitals just gets so boring...and everytime there is a run to the patlands the YJ has been down Boogers and shit!! but once the XJ gets some decent tires and I get all the parts I have on it, I can take it when the YJ has down time Boogers and shit!!

*edit* oh and if you need help pulling your hubs and shit ryan to change yours let me know. The YJ wasn't that bad the first time...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:20 am 
Jeeper in IN

15 year old ujoints in a dana 30 probably need replaced whether there is movement or not unless your carrying spare shafts with ujoints in them. my opinion the ujoint in the 30 is probably the weakest link.

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:08 pm 
Tang Soo

i would

heres why, i've had ones that felt good but changed the joint anyways, and guess what, the reason it felt good was because it was all rusted up and about to self destruct.

when i changed them on the megacab they were only 3 years old, felt good, but when i got into them they didn't have any grease and where rusting away...

mac 'an hour in the garage is worth several on the trail' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:09 pm 
Thread Necromancer

I'm with the school of thought, that if you have them apart anyhow, and already have the parts, then ya might as well change them, especially since you don't really know thier history.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works.
'08 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins, 4x4
'78 GMC 4x4 short bed
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:06 pm 
why you gotta call me names for Allen?

the other day you wanted me to come sit by the fire with you and now you say i phuc animals? man that hurts bro.

call me dumb or call me lazy, but i would leave them. but everyone did make good points on why to change them, i do understand.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:36 pm 
Animal Fukker :? Wait till I see you at a red light...............I'm gonna point and lmao :) Your a funny guy Alan!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:47 pm 
Male nurse in training

lol calm down dudes, I changed them out :tu2: went with spicer solids....now I'm listening to eminem....

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:17 pm 
:doh: eminem you need some Haystak in your life Alan!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 am 
Tang Soo

95YJMan wrote:
I changed them out :tu2: went with spicer solids

so, did they need changed?

mac 'Preventative Maintenance' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)