Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)

Post subject: Coil Spring spacers and shocks TJ
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:33 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I have made a set of 3" coil spring spacers for my TJ just curious if I can install them without lengthening my shocks right away or is this a must? The only reason im asking is shocks arent in the budget yet but the spacers are finished. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :?

Post subject: Re: Coil Spring spacers and shocks TJ
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:13 pm 
Tang Soo

Its not a must to install new shocks however...

the suspension will bottom out quicker and it will probably ride like doo doo because the shock at its static height is not where it was designed to be at its static height so the design of how well it rides won't be as good as it was when it was sitting in the designed position.

i hope that made sense.

why not wait til you have the correct shocks?

also with 3 inches on a tj you'll need an sye or a tcase drop too...and that's what i can think of off the top of my head.

mac 'big puck lifts' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:34 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Thanks Mac, I dint even think about the sye or the t case drop. I'm new to the Jeep world and appreciate any help I can get! Looks like I may say screw it and buy the 4" lift that comes with everything I need. I thought maybe I could save a few bucks but doesn't sound worth it. Thanks again for the help!

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:40 pm 
Tang Soo

Crosy wrote:
Thanks Mac, I dint even think about the sye or the t case drop. I'm new to the Jeep world and appreciate any help I can get! Looks like I may say screw it and buy the 4" lift that comes with everything I need. I thought maybe I could save a few bucks but doesn't sound worth it. Thanks again for the help!

theres advantages and disadvantages to piecing to together a lift or just buying the entire thing. make sure you remember it all when you piece it together and make sure it comes with it all when you buy it.

now if you could make some 1in spacers or 3/4in spacers those would help you adjust your lift as needed if you add a winch or a front bumper or move things around to change the weight distribution on the rig and have it sag in the front or rear.

good luck with your lift.

mac 'its always the small stuff that gets ya' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:55 pm 
Giggling Little Schoolgirl

you MAY need a sye... you can do the t-case drop to help... that should be ok. also if you need a track bar bracket i have one that will work. i'll let it go for 10 bucks (its rusty but ok.
also, i would just get some shocks if you can. it will be better and you won't have to worry about using your shocks as limiting straps.
autozone sells tj 3" lift shocks for 28 bucks or so a piece...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:33 am 
Baby puncher

ahem...vato wha? What they said, if you don't plan to wheel at all until you get your shocks you should be ok, it will ride like crap most likely, and you'll probably have some driveline vibration...but it is drivable. T-case drops are a waste of money, just go with an sye, yes you're spending more money now, but what the hell is the point of raising the vehicle to fit 2 inch taller tires and make your high-centering point an inch or more lower?? I can't tell you what to do, and god knows I've spent more than my fair share at polishing turds, but you will be so much happier doing things right the first time around. I'm all about being cheap and piecing together all the components of a full kit, but either way you'll be getting the full kit, with all the pieces and parts you want on your rig. And iby ahem vato...wha? I'm saying go to o'reilly instead, vatozone brings the suck.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:17 am 
Jeeper in IN

Thanks guys for every ones input, I am going to hold off on the spacers and just wait until I can afford the right stuff since I have been wheeling it almost every weekend. It sounds like by putting the spacers in will not really do much for me until I have the rest of the stuff so I might as well just pony up the cash for a true suspension lift.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:08 pm 
Jeeper in IN

TrailRetard wrote:
ahem...vato wha? What they said, if you don't plan to wheel at all until you get your shocks you should be ok, it will ride like crap most likely, and you'll probably have some driveline vibration...but it is drivable. T-case drops are a waste of money, just go with an sye, yes you're spending more money meow, but what the hell is the point of raising the vehicle to fit 2 inch taller tires and make your high-centering point an inch or more lower?? I can't tell you what to do, and god knows I've spent more than my fair share at polishing turds, but you will be so much happier doing things right the first time around. I'm all about being cheap and piecing together all the components of a full kit, but either way you'll be getting the full kit, with all the pieces and parts you want on your rig. And iby ahem vato...wha? I'm saying go to o'reilly instead, vatozone brings the suck.

HAHAHAHA Vatozone! Don't you work at O'reily's?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:00 pm 
Baby puncher

yup...i sling parts for O O O O'Reilly...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:29 pm 
i got a 4" rough country lift that will be up for sale here very shortly. just pulled most of it off. would let it go for $250

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:54 pm 
Jeeper in IN

TrailRetard wrote:
yup...i sling parts for O O O O'Reilly...

which one?

Image Image Image Image Image

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:46 am 
Jeeper in IN

coldwater rd

*OLD RED* 1990 xj*4.0*30x9.5x15*(sold)
*ZOMBIE HUNTER*1997 ZJ*5.2*24 lb injectors*msd ignition*taurus cooling fan upgrade*
*OLD WHITE*mud truck*1977*GMC stepside 1 ton*383 stroker*39.5x13.50x16 ss iroks*

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)