Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)

Post subject: Teach me please!
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:13 pm 
Furry Fetish

Ok so Im probably getting a wrangler a TJ but I have no idea what Im getting into.......so tell me what Im getting into. Learn me good.

Momma didn't raise no fool.

Post subject: Re: Teach me please!
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:38 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

What do you want to know?

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:41 pm 
Male nurse in training

Well being a YJ owner I don't know much, I do however know that TJ's have coil springs..which are nice and flexy. I think TJ's are the next best thing to a JK. Since the release of the JK, TJ's are coming down in the price. I remember you telling me that you found one with a 4 banger in it which it will be a dog on the road but it will do just fine off the road, it will do even better with larger tires and regear'ed. There are a number of things that you can do to the 2.5L to get a little more power out of it. I myself have done that 4.0L throttle body swap and I have added a cold air intake. Which has helped a little bit. The biggest power boost I have done is the 4.88's. It has giving me 5th gear back with my 33's. You could however just skip all this and get one with a 4 liter in it. Some even came with a D44...

*edit* single 2 on everything I said about the 2.5L. I didn't check the chat before hand. I didn't realize you found one with a 4 liter. Good! is it rusty?

Last edited by 95YJMan on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:51 pm 

If I had to do it again, I would find myself an older Rubicon. :)

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:53 pm 
Male nurse in training

Alpine wrote:
If I had to do it again, I would find myself an older Rubicon. :)

I agree

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:42 pm 
freezes his batteries off

If you are getting a TJ get a RUBICON!! You will thank your self later when an axle swap isn't something you desire to have!!!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:05 pm 

AND.. you get a bad-ass transfer case, transmission, lockers (in some cases), etc, etc

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:54 pm 
Furry Fetish

Nope not rusty. I looked at and rvoe 3 today all of them 4.0s. 2 with 5 speeds and 1 with an auto. One I looked at was really nice! But I doubt I could afford a rubicon, even if I could find. So Ill probably find a decent sport. Im not a hardcore off-roader but I do like to trail ride so would a rubicon be good any way?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:15 pm 

LawMoose wrote:
Nope not rusty. I looked at and rvoe 3 today all of them 4.0s. 2 with 5 speeds and 1 with an auto. One I looked at was really nice! But I doubt I could afford a rubicon, even if I could find. So Ill probably find a decent sport. Im not a hardcore off-roader but I do like to trail ride so would a rubicon be good any way?

Definitely!

There is a guy registered on here that buys and rebuilds wrecked Rubicons. I'm sure he could make you a hell of a deal. You should send a PM to dirty dan & see what he has!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:05 pm 
Furry Fetish

I shall do this meow! I did find a white one on my drive to dinner.......girlfriend got mad.......cause I stop :lol:.......and drove it. It was ok but it had to have a new top. But I shall keep looking!. In the mean time tell me more. Better a stock TJ or one that has work done to it?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:14 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Definitely 4.0 (that's what's in my TJ).

Almost everybody I've talked to that has the 4-banger says they wish that they'd have gotten the 4.0.... both for daily driving and for trail use.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:18 am 
Furry Fetish

Whats a good cheaper lift? Budget boost any good? I doubt they are but I figured I would ask.

Heres a rubicon I found. What you think?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:51 am 
Thread Necromancer

LawMoose wrote:
Whats a good cheaper lift? Budget boost any good? I doubt they are but I figured I would ask.

If you want to clear 33s, 1.75" coil spaces, and a 1" Daystar body mount lift (not a body lift).

Anything specific that you want to know about a TJ? I had one for a lot of years...

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works.
'08 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins, 4x4
'78 GMC 4x4 short bed
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:41 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Rough country 3.25 lift i paid 325 for it shipped to my door its a 2.5 with coil spacers i loved it on my tj and i cleared !33's no problem i could have fit 35's with flat fenders

*OLD RED* 1990 xj*4.0*30x9.5x15*(sold)
*ZOMBIE HUNTER*1997 ZJ*5.2*24 lb injectors*msd ignition*taurus cooling fan upgrade*
*OLD WHITE*mud truck*1977*GMC stepside 1 ton*383 stroker*39.5x13.50x16 ss iroks*

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:29 pm 
Furry Fetish

Ive never really thought about tire size, wouldnt a 32 be alot better for axles and easier to fit?

Thats a great price for that much lift!

Whats the best year to look for?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:38 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Depends on axle and gear ratio my jeep had a 44 in the rear with 3.73 so it turned 33's no problem if for some reason you get. A 4 banger which i would not do they have 4.10 gears

*ZOMBIE HUNTER*1997 ZJ*5.2*24 lb injectors*msd ignition*taurus cooling fan upgrade*
*OLD WHITE*mud truck*1977*GMC stepside 1 ton*383 stroker*39.5x13.50x16 ss iroks*

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:50 pm 
Thread Necromancer

The 4.0s will either have 3.08 or 3.83 gears, unless its a rubicon, which will have 4.10s. If you don't go with the rubicon, and plan to run larger tires, try to find one with 3.73s, they are a good match for 33" tires.
As far as years go, there were a few improvements in the engines of the 99 and newer models, but its not a huge deal.
Stock a TJ will clear 31's. 2-4" lift will clear 33s, and 4+ clears 35s, without any trimming.
I ran a 4" ProComp on my TJ, it netted me closer to 4.5". I ran 33's, it could clear 35s, but really didn't want that tall of a tire. That was a flexy lift and could stuff the 33's tightly into the fenders... was reasonably priced too,

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:58 pm 
Jeeper in IN

If you find an 01 60th anniversary tj it will have 44 rear and 3.73's

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:09 pm 
Furry Fetish

I dont think Ive seen one of those yet how do you know its one?. I know some sports and sahara's came with a Dana44 is there any to tell by just looking at it?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:52 pm 
Thread Necromancer

LawMoose wrote:
I dont think Ive seen one of those yet how do you know its one?. I know some sports and sahara's came with a Dana44 is there any to tell by just looking at it?

yep....

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 pm 
Furry Fetish

Thanks Kennedy!. I dont know if a rubicon is in the future. My price is right at the lower end for one. So either a nice sport or a less nice rubicon

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:04 am 
Thread Necromancer

you don't really need the rubicon... go for the nicest thing you can afford...

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:04 am 
Jeeper in IN

the 60th will have a 60th badge on the side under were it says jeep and the floor mats will have the logo and it will have painted sahara fender flares other than that its a sport

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:08 am 
Smokey rolls

Dan from as in dirty Dan has some real nice jeeps for sale and.some.dam.good prices to if ya need to reach him let me know I'm not sure how much he is online anymore

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:46 am 
Furry Fetish

Well the rubi above is still in the running, I found one in Elkhart that decent to. The others Im looking at are an 01 sport 4.0 5 speed and has both tops and a 03 wrangler x that is a 4.0 5speed, but it is a blue color that Ive loved since I was young and my last truck was that color.

Ill keep my eye open for one.

I sent Dan a message on here but no reply yet, if you can talk to him or have number for him thatd be awesome!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:12 pm 
Furry Fetish

OK! So Ive been bored (lecture classes suck) So I was looking at lifts and figure out what I need to get with them. I was reading some stuff on a another form about going over 3 inches in lift and the problems you have. So what if I stay under 3? Say 2.5? 01BlackOut said he liked the rough country and there pretty reasonable, so I looked and found this one http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_2.html What kind of things do you need to get other then the lift? AKA brake lines? Bump stops? etc...

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:31 pm 
Thread Necromancer

What kind if problems?
Usually you don't see may problems as long as you don't go over 4"?

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:40 pm 
Furry Fetish

I read alot about vibs and swaying bad. Plus Im a fan of LCOG kind of builds

Plus if I stay under 3" I wont be tempted to get 33's. So I can save some more money to do a regear and such

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:52 pm 
Thread Necromancer

33s will clear with 2" of lift...
If everything is set up right, you won't have any issues with sway or vibes. I never did on my TJ.
As far as vibrations, that has to do with rear drive shaft angle. Usually you'll be ok with a Tcase drop with 4" of lift. If you get a Rubicon, it is a non issue, they don't have a slip yoke out of the tcase to begin with.

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:29 am 
Feeds people vomit

kennedy wrote:
If everything is set up right, you won't have any issues with sway or vibes. I never did on my TJ.
As far as vibrations, that has to do with rear drive shaft angle. Usually you'll be ok with a Tcase drop with 4" of lift. If you get a Rubicon, it is a non issue, they don't have a slip yoke out of the tcase to begin with.

I can verify....spent a lot of hours in that jeep....moab AND bust?!

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:47 am 
Thread Necromancer

Chuck wrote:
kennedy wrote:

I can verify....spent a lot of hours in that jeep....moab AND bust?!

was actually "Colorado and bust" lol
Good trip, nothing like 3,000+ miles in a topless/doorless Jeep! Plus transversing half the state of Colorado without being on pavement!

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:42 pm 
Jeeper in IN

the rough country kit is pretty complete and topper aka jar head aka matt said he was pretty impressed with the lift the only thing i would recommend in addition to the kit is a adjustable front trac bar other that all brake lines and everything else are fine and the shocks with the rough country kit have bump stops built in to them so your set there if you get the 3.25 kit just a little advice call 4x4 group buy .com and tell them that you can get the kit for 325 shipped to your door thats what i did and they matched it

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:46 pm 
Jeeper in IN

LawMoose wrote:
OK! So Ive been bored (lecture classes suck) So I was looking at lifts and figure out what I need to get with them. I was reading some stuff on a another form about going over 3 inches in lift and the problems you have. So what if I stay under 3? Say 2.5? 01BlackOut said he liked the rough country and there pretty reasonable, so I looked and found this one http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_tj_2.html What kind of things do you need to get other then the lift? AKA brake lines? Bump stops? etc...

that 2.5 kit doesnt have everything that you would really need the 3.25 comes with new extended sway bar links trac bar relocate bracket for the rear trac bar and a t case drop 2.5 doesnt come with any of that plus with 3.25 kit you get all new hardware and trust me you are going to want the new hard ware it will save you alot of time and headache trust me and the spacers make for a little bit nicer ride in my own opinion i would def go with the 3.25 for the money its alot better than the 2.5 for only 25 more dollars i would go with 3.25 but im just speaking from experiance on my tj

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:13 pm 
Furry Fetish

01blackout wrote:
that 2.5 kit doesnt have everything that you would really need the 3.25 comes with new extended sway bar links trac bar relocate bracket for the rear trac bar and a t case drop 2.5 doesnt come with any of that plus with 3.25 kit you get all new hardware and trust me you are going to want the new hard ware it will save you alot of time and headache trust me and the spacers make for a little bit nicer ride in my own opinion i would def go with the 3.25 for the money its alot better than the 2.5 for only 25 more dollars i would go with 3.25 but im just speaking from experiance on my tj

Thanks for the info, Ive been throwing the idea around for the 3.25. There just about the same price and you get 1.25 more plus like you said the hardware, I think its a better deal. I gotta wait till tuesday before i can go home. So hopefully wensday Ill have a new jeep :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:35 pm 
Furry Fetish

I think if I can find one, Ill try and get a LJ. I like the idea of more room and they have the Dana 44 and 3.73 gears which wouldnt be bad

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:00 am 
Furry Fetish

Update time!

I fixed my KJ so I can hold off alittle while longer and use it as trade if I want or keep it :doh: Im not sure yet. But I did find a TJ that is what I was really looking for but it has a lift and tires on it already, it could be a plus or a problem depending what lift is one it.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:01 am 
Male nurse in training

That and you don't know if its been wheeled, then you don't know if its been wheeled by an idiot or someone whole respected it..

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:11 am 
Furry Fetish

Yea thats very true! But me being my sneaky self found out the previous own and Im going to call and talk about it

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:19 am 
Thread Necromancer

LawMoose wrote:
Yea thats very true! But me being my sneaky self found out the previous own and Im going to call and talk about it

:tu2: good call. I've done that for a few used vehicles that i have purchased.

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:01 pm 
Furry Fetish

Well now I found another one :doh: My friend that got me into Jeeps Big John he offered me one. For fun he will take wrecked ones and make them new so he can make some money for his JK, well one he got earlier this year and I helped him pick it up and such. It was a rollover but nothing was really that damaged. Doors are trashed, no top and windshield/frame messed up. He offered it to me but I really wasnt that intrested. He fixed the window and frame. Replaced the tires one it and gave it a small lift. It still needs doors and a roof. But other then that is a great little jeep infact I drove it this weekend back to his house for him. He offered it to me for $6500 at lunch. I said I wasnt sure. He knows Im looking for one but I said the no doors or top was a problem for me. He said he could get doors for me for $500 more and then I could get a top for about $500 for a frameless. So what do you guys think? I mean its a nice little TJ, its an 01 or 02 with 70,000 miles 4.0 5 speed. with a body lift and some bigger tires and is this burnt orange color that I like and you dont really see much of. So what you think?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:13 pm 
Thread Necromancer

is it a clean title or a salvage title?

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:20 pm 
Furry Fetish

Hmmmm Im not entirely sure. Ill have to ask

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:04 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Find out. Also, if it is a salvage title, check with your insurance, they can be funny about that sometimes. Also, if you are planning on financing it, you may have trouble getting a loan on a vehicle with a salvage title. Just a heads up...

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:30 pm 
Furry Fetish

kennedy wrote:
LawMoose wrote:

:tu2: good call. I've done that for a few used vehicles that i have purchased.

Well I called the guy, he bought it lifted with the tires for the Jeep Shop of Indiana, where they installed the lift and tires. The owner said he never really off-roaded. He said he drove in on the road alot but he was tired of the mpgs so he traded it off. The guy was really nice about it and told me to make sure I looked at the rust on the passenger side rear.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:30 pm 
Furry Fetish

Well boys, girls, and kennedy. I got my Jeep....... Ill post pics later.

And maybe you cant see it so heres a closer look

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:43 pm 
Male nurse in training

Man you suck, are you gonna wheel it? Nice jeep!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:37 pm 
Furry Fetish

95YJMan wrote:
Man you suck, are you gonna wheel it? Nice jeep!

:lol: Am I going to wheel?.........Well Fudge yea!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:02 pm 
spackled

Nice! I think you'll be glad you held out for a Ruby. :tu2:

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:24 am 
Furry Fetish

Thank you! Ive been pleeased so far

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:54 am 
Male nurse in training

are you gonna beat on it?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:09 pm 
Furry Fetish

Well Im going to baby her for alittle bit. I wanna wheel her bad but Im not into rock gardens, I love to trail ride and explore. So will I beat on it? For the most part yeah I will but I wont destroy it. Right not Im trying to convence myself to start ordering things. No lift yet but I want better head lights (stock such bad), some windsheild lights, a cb with the trimmings, and a few other small things. After tax and plates, Im alittle low on cash so itll be slow to go. I gotta couple weeks before I have to head back to school so hopefully I can get stuff and have it done before I leave.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:40 pm 
Thread Necromancer

nice.
details? (miles, year?)

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:09 pm 
Furry Fetish

:? hmmmmm I thought I put it down, Meh oh well. Its a 2003 Wrangler Rubicon! :lol:. Its an auto (which Id prefer a manual) and as you can see is a soft top (Id like a hard but oh well) It all stock with under 60,000 miles. It does have different mud tires but they are stock size. It has maxxis big horn? Never really heard of them. Inside is clean! Back seat looks like its never been sat in. It could use a new soft top though. It has a small hole and all the windows are sratched up. It came with a Sony Xplod cd player with aux jack and has upgraded speakers in the sound bar. She came from a dealer in Fairmount, Indiana and the guy is very nice and helpful. Also told me if I ever need anything for it to come and he would order it for me. I love it so much! Honestly I couldnt be happier with it. and thank you guys for helping me with my decision

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:52 am 
Thread Necromancer

Sweet. Not too high on miles either!

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:20 pm 
Tang Soo

LawMoose wrote:
:? hmmmmm I thought I put it down, Meh oh well. Its a 2003 Wrangler Rubicon! :lol:. Its an auto (which Id prefer a manual) and as you can see is a soft top (Id like a hard but oh well) It all stock with under 60,000 miles. It does have different mud tires but they are stock size. It has maxxis big horn? Never really heard of them. Inside is clean! Back seat looks like its never been sat in. It could use a new soft top though. It has a small hole and all the windows are sratched up. It came with a Sony Xplod cd player with aux jack and has upgraded speakers in the sound bar. She came from a dealer in Fairmount, Indiana and the guy is very nice and helpful. Also told me if I ever need anything for it to come and he would order it for me. I love it so much! Honestly I couldnt be happier with it. and thank you guys for helping me with my decision

J & S?

I've never been there but driven past it a bunch. Always wondered how their prices were.

mac 'they have corvettes too' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:55 am 
Furry Fetish

Yep thats the one
There pretty decent price wise alittle high but willing to work on. Jason had been driving this TJ before he sold it, which was really awesome. They will replace anything and everything on a Jeep if they thing is needs to be. And there really honest.

Yeah they do have Corvettes, my Dad is a big Corvette guy and he thinks he will be getting another one from him in the future sometime.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)