Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)

Post subject: TJ SYE Install Help
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:40 am 
Jeeper in IN

I'm trying to install a JB Conversions SYE Kit in my 1997 TJ 5-spd w/np321 tcase. No vehicle lift or anything, doing it my garage at home.

Got the skid plate off, driveshafts out, linkage partially unhooked, etc. Basically ready to unbolt the tcase and work on it.

Problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the bolts off that hold the tcase to the transmission. The manual I've got says they ought to be around 30 lb/ft, so they shouldn't be that hard to remove. But there's not much room to get any kind of tool in there, especially towards the top of the tcase.

Can anyone offer any tip/pointers/etc? I'm about ready to slap the skidplate back on and tow it somewhere for somebody else to finish for me.... :(

Also, anybody know where I could borrow a transmission jack from? I'm a bit leery of trying to muscle the tcase in/out from under the Jeep w/just a floorjack.

Post subject: Re: TJ SYE Install Help
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:49 am 
Tang Soo

with the skid plate out you can lower the tcase down a bit to give you some wiggle room, the motor is still sitting on motor mounts and you'll get a bit of room.

I have a 9/16 open end wrench that i bent in a 90 in the middle to get to the tcase bolts near the top. i have used a combo of open end wrenches and ratchet and sockets to get those bolts off. It says 30 lb/ft but they feel tighter than that trying to get them free.

that tcase doesn't weigh a lot, its real easy to nut around with one person...i've done it without using a floor jack several time.

mac 'not even close to the weight of an atlas' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:26 pm 
Male nurse in training

also this isn't as easy as a YJ since you have a center consule but, where my shifter boot is I take that plate off in order to get to the top bolts. Just put a piece of wood on top of a jack stand and place that under the transmission to support it while the T-case is out. As far as the bolts if they have never been off since the factory I could see them being a little tough to move. My YJ's where, you just gotta give it a good push and your gonna get messed up knuckes but thats the name of the game. Hope this helps. Do you live in fort wayne?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:17 am 
Jeeper in IN

I'm on the south side of Fort Wayne, near Harrison Hill.

I just spent about an hour under it trying to get the nuts free using a socket u-joint and my impact wrench. Got 1 of the easy ones, could probably get 2-3 more, but the upper ones I can't make it work. Maybe if I had it up on a lift instead of lying underneath it, I could make it happen.

It's not that they're too tight per se, just that I can't get much leverage on them to pop them loose...

Gonna put the front DS and skid back on, and find a shop to do it I guess.... :(

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:33 am 
Giggling Little Schoolgirl

don't do that.... i have the tools to do it properly... give me a few days, but im sure we can do it at my place... its not a big deal to do... i did mine at home...

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:17 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Sparky wrote:
don't do that.... i have the tools to do it properly... give me a few days, but im sure we can do it at my place... its not a big deal to do... i did mine at home...

I got it back together enough to drive around town, so if you're willing to help that would be awesome. :tu2:

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:38 pm 
Tang Soo

9/16 wrench bent in a 90 is the key for the top bolts

mac 'a lift really doesn't make it that much easier' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:14 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I will be checking to see how it goes for you. I am planning on doing a JB Conversions super short SYE this weekend on my 2000 TJ.

Detroit up front and Spooled out back
4.56's and 35's
MOAB Tested!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 am 

we are gonna do it later this month...
the sye is not bad to do, follow your instructions... :tu2:

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:01 pm 
Jeeper in IN

I got mine all broken down today. Ratchet wrenches helped a lot with the mounting nuts. I am still working on getting everything switched over to the new output shaft. Those snap rings and lock rings are a PTIA! I would invest in a solid set for the snap rings and get/borrow a set of the flat bladed pliers for the external lock rings. They are quite stout! I will also be switching out my planetary gearset once I get ahold of a decent set of lock ring pliers. By the way, Sears has a set for $14.99 or NAPA for ~$23.

Detroit up front and Spooled out back
4.56's and 35's
MOAB Tested!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:44 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Got the SYE done this past weekend thanks to Sparky. :tu2:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:39 am 

no problem bud... it was great to meet with you and get it done...
like i said... its not a bad job is it?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:30 am 
Jeeper in IN

So since doing the SYE with Sparky, my tcase (np231) has been really hard to shift, especially from 2hi to 4hi and back. At the time, Sparky and I didn't check the linkage or anything, and with the weather I've really only needed 4hi to get around.

This AM I needed 4lo to get out of my driveway b/c of the drifting. When I finally got the tcase into 4lo, it would make speed-related clicking sounds as I was moving. Some futzing with the shifter managed to get that quieted down, but 4hi still was hard to find. And once I was in 4hi, it wasn't where the shifter had a "stop" to hold it in gear there, so it would pop out sometimes.

Going from 4hi to 2hi required serious leaning/wiggling of the shifter to make it happen (with vehicle moving or stopped), and then coming back (2hi -> 4hi), it would grind pretty bad and I'd have to go a little past 4hi and then back down into 4hi to make the tcase happy.

Talked to Sparky some today, and I decided to start with the easier part and play with the linkage. So I did that tonight, and here's the results:

* after loosening linkage slider, I could hand-shift the tcase via the linkage bracket (underneath next to the tcase, not the shifter) from 4lo <-> 4hi with no problem either direction
* however, could NOT hand-shift the tcase into 2hi at all via the linkage bracket
* adjusted linkage so tcase 4hi lined up with shifter 4hi by moving the slider
* 4hi <-> 4lo is now easily accomplished via shifter, and 4hi now stays in gear
* 4lo now has no clicking or grinding while engaged
* 4hi -> 2hi requires serious effort/wiggling, and once there shifter feels spongy like it's not all the way where it wants to be
* 2hi -> 4hi causes serious grinding/clicking noises, and still requires shifting a bit past 4hi into neutral and back down to 4hi

None of these problems existed prior to doing the SYE, so obviously we got something out of whack somewhere. At this point, the tcase is quiet (no clicking/grinding) once I can get it into the gear I want (so a slight improvement), but still not happy shifting 2hi <-> 4hi.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Or am I doomed to pulling the tcase back out and taking it apart again?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:21 am 
mister wiskers

Keep at that linkage, you just need to find that sweet spot.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:18 am 
Jeeper in IN

Get Bent wrote:
Keep at that linkage, you just need to find that sweet spot.

But when I was under the Jeep last night, it wouldn't go from 4hi -> 2hi using the little tab on the tcase next to the front driveshaft. No (external) linkage involved.

4hi <-> 4lo is very smooth (again using the tab right on the tcase).

If I can't go from 4hi -> 2hi manually from underneath (skipping the linkage), what else is there to adjust outside the tcase?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:56 pm 
mister wiskers

Nothing. Looks like you betta pull it..

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:36 am 
Jeeper in IN

Get Bent wrote:
Nothing. Looks like you betta pull it..

Dang it... :td:

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:28 pm 
Likes dudes pitching tents

Don't feel bad. Mine had to come out again too after I did mine.

@*#(#@ snap rings :(

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:10 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Got the transfer case out and fixed yesterday. Turns out the main large ring that rides on the shift fork was in backwards.

Works great now! :)

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase)