Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Grand Waggy, and other full-size Jeeps




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Paint Job for my 1982 J10
 Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:04 pm 
Offline
Killed his Hooptie Geo Prism
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:49 pm
Posts: 202
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
My uncle tells me that my J10 is ready.
I need to pay for the work that has been done.
What I will paying for is the sheet metal work and nothing else.
No primer or paint was sprayed

I'm told out of a 1-10 scale, it looks 6 or 7.
I dunno what that means...I am no body man

So, I am asking for recommendations for finish body work and paint.
While I am looking save as much $$$ as I can, I do not want a cheap paint job like from Earl Scheib.

As I am no hurry, I would like to find someone that does work on the side, that would take their time and do a good job.
What I want is for my J10 to look good for a Daily Driver, maybe come to some of the Jeep events, show off to folks that's never seen a FSJ or an AMC V8.

_________________
Bryan Smith
2004 KIA Optima (wife 's DD)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (my DD)
1993 GMC 3500 extended length cargo van, 6.2L Diesel powered.
1982 J10 - current project, replacement AMC 360 sitting in the engine bay.
1981 J20 - stock with a super kewl commercial flat bed (stored, long term Diesel dually project)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Paint Job for my 1982 J10
 Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:36 pm 
The PIG Smith wrote:
My uncle tells me that my J10 is ready.
I need to pay for the work that has been done.
What I will paying for is the sheet metal work and nothing else.
No primer or paint was sprayed

I'm told out of a 1-10 scale, it looks 6 or 7.
I dunno what that means...I am no body man

So, I am asking for recommendations for finish body work and paint.
While I am looking save as much $$$ as I can, I do not want a cheap paint job like from Earl Scheib.

As I am no hurry, I would like to find someone that does work on the side, that would take their time and do a good job.
What I want is for my J10 to look good for a Daily Driver, maybe come to some of the Jeep events, show off to folks that's never seen a FSJ or an AMC V8.


HEY...I have an AMC V8!! and pipes commin straight out my headers :banana:


Top 
  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:01 pm 
Offline
Thread Necromancer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:25 pm
Posts: 29257
Location: Omokok, NI
I'd call around a few body shops or paint suppliers and see what colors they have that are "extras"/left overs that may be able to be purchased cheep and go from there.

_________________
Jeeper4Life wrote:
noone means any harm and that it's all in fun.. but then there's kennedy..

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:48 am 
Offline
Feeds people vomit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:10 pm
Posts: 6282
Location: West Lafayette, IN
kennedy wrote:
I'd call around a few body shops or paint suppliers and see what colors they have that are "extras"/left overs that may be able to be purchased cheep and go from there.


I'd use the roller technique, looks GREAT from 20 feet...kinda orange peely up close

_________________
'78 CJ7 project....350, NV3500, NP241, fiberglass tub, show and shine
'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible - the family fun car
'05 Chevrolet 3500 dually, duramax, stock
'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:04 pm 
Offline
Killed his Hooptie Geo Prism
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:49 pm
Posts: 202
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
My truck was a Black truck from the factory.
I want to go back with Black

No Roll-on paints jobs for me.
I know they can be made look good, but I do not the time, skills, space, tools or patience to mess with bodywork.

_________________
Bryan Smith
2004 KIA Optima (wife 's DD)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (my DD)
1993 GMC 3500 extended length cargo van, 6.2L Diesel powered.
1982 J10 - current project, replacement AMC 360 sitting in the engine bay.
1981 J20 - stock with a super kewl commercial flat bed (stored, long term Diesel dually project)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:57 pm 
Offline
Feeds people vomit
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:10 pm
Posts: 6282
Location: West Lafayette, IN
The PIG Smith wrote:
My truck was a Black truck from the factory.
I want to go back with Black

No Roll-on paints jobs for me.
I know they can be made look good, but I do not the time, skills, space, tools or patience to mess with bodywork.


But you can do a 6.2 swap? :lol: j/k

_________________
'78 CJ7 project....350, NV3500, NP241, fiberglass tub, show and shine
'72 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible - the family fun car
'05 Chevrolet 3500 dually, duramax, stock
'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:56 pm 
Offline
Killed his Hooptie Geo Prism
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:49 pm
Posts: 202
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Chuck wrote:
The PIG Smith wrote:
My truck was a Black truck from the factory.
I want to go back with Black

No Roll-on paints jobs for me.
I know they can be made look good, but I do not the time, skills, space, tools or patience to mess with bodywork.


But you can do a 6.2 swap? :lol: j/k

OUCH!
Okay, point well taken!
While my garage space is limited, I do have have room to the work on this swap (barely).
I do have the most of the skills required (enough to get the job done)
I have enough tools (would enjoy owning a welder)
...time and $$$ is the big ticket items I do not have.
I can turn wrenches, bust knuckles, mechanical kinds of projects...just can not paint and do other body shop type tasks.

_________________
Bryan Smith
2004 KIA Optima (wife 's DD)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (my DD)
1993 GMC 3500 extended length cargo van, 6.2L Diesel powered.
1982 J10 - current project, replacement AMC 360 sitting in the engine bay.
1981 J20 - stock with a super kewl commercial flat bed (stored, long term Diesel dually project)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:59 pm 
Offline
web wheeling is off the hook!!!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 1278
Location: fort wayne, indiana
would you be willing to take it to huntington for the paint job?

_________________
Still just a kid that likes to play in the mud. My go cart is just a little bigger.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1991 cherokee, 3" bds lift (hers)
1987 comanche 4bangin 4x4 (stock for now)
2007 powerwheels jeep unlimited


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:40 am 
Offline
Killed his Hooptie Geo Prism
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:49 pm
Posts: 202
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
BryansYJ wrote:
would you be willing to take it to huntington for the paint job?

Yes, I would be willing to go to Huntington.

_________________
Bryan Smith
2004 KIA Optima (wife 's DD)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (my DD)
1993 GMC 3500 extended length cargo van, 6.2L Diesel powered.
1982 J10 - current project, replacement AMC 360 sitting in the engine bay.
1981 J20 - stock with a super kewl commercial flat bed (stored, long term Diesel dually project)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm 
Offline
web wheeling is off the hook!!!
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 pm
Posts: 1278
Location: fort wayne, indiana
sorryguess he isnt doing it anymore, i had a buddie that painted out of his garage and did a good job, wanted to make sure you would go before i called him and well now he dont do it....sorry

_________________
Still just a kid that likes to play in the mud. My go cart is just a little bigger.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1991 cherokee, 3" bds lift (hers)
1987 comanche 4bangin 4x4 (stock for now)
2007 powerwheels jeep unlimited


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:59 pm 
Offline
Killed his Hooptie Geo Prism
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 8:49 pm
Posts: 202
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Not a prob and thanx for thinking of me.

_________________
Bryan Smith
2004 KIA Optima (wife 's DD)
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (my DD)
1993 GMC 3500 extended length cargo van, 6.2L Diesel powered.
1982 J10 - current project, replacement AMC 360 sitting in the engine bay.
1981 J20 - stock with a super kewl commercial flat bed (stored, long term Diesel dually project)


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Grand Waggy, and other full-size Jeeps


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

cron