Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech

Post subject: new rotors
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:55 am 
Paul Bunyan

So I'm thinking of getting new rotors-and I was thinking of getting cross-drilled and slotted...but i was told last night that slotted rotors cut pads up like cheese graters.... So I think I'm just going with cross drilled...what do ya'll think? (and ceramic pads if I can find them)

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:30 am 
Paul Bunyan

and what do ya'll think of these - from o'reillys? PWR Brake Rotor Front http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ProductDetail.do?id=2122893437&line=PWR&itemNumber=PWR-8750DR&perfVehicleSpecific=true&perfCategoryIndex=0&didSearchFor=Rotor&vehicle=2001DODGERAM%202500%20PICKUPQUAD%20CABL6-5.9L%20FI&bid=1208523024587&cycleCount=2297&currentPage=0

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:03 am 
Jeeper in IN

well i heard about the drilled rotors pretty brittle they like to play connect the dots

4" rough country suspension lift 2" bds body lift ford 8.8 rear dana 30 front 33x12.50x15 bfg m/t with 15x8 procomp soft 8's 8000lb smitty built winch
dd saturn vue

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:37 am 
Paul Bunyan

i installed new pads on the front and upgraded my cylinders in the drums (the shoes were grooved-but not the drums-and there was plenty left besides the grooves-so I didn't change them)-and after I got them adjusted and set to drive-I don't feel it pulsating and I don't want to spend the money now-so I'm going to refrain from buying new rotors...but I think I'll go with the performance when it comes time.

The cylinder upgrade was replacing the stock cylinders with cylinders for the '74-'07 Chevy 1 tons (part number 37337...or something like that).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:23 am 
Slotted rotors do cut pads slightly to remove an glaze buildup on them. Drilled rotors have a tendancy to play connect the dots and come apart. Either way, somethin bad could happen lol. However ive seen cheapo ebay rotors run on cars, slotted and drilled, with no issue. But ive also seen Porsche drilled rotors (they dont use slotted) here at work do the connect the dots routine.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:34 pm 
Feeds people vomit

I say stay away from ceramic pads...ceramic components such as this, or cluches, don't have any give, no slide...they'll tear up your rotors faster than you can say "cheese grater"...that's my experience. Use an organic pad or cheapo pads...pads are relatively cheap in comparison to rotors...

'05 Honda Odessey awesomevan
'08 Chevrolet HHR company car - The silver bullet

Whatever....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:19 pm 
Paul Bunyan

Chuck wrote:
I say stay away from ceramic pads...ceramic components such as this, or cluches, don't have any give, no slide...they'll tear up your rotors faster than you can say "cheese grater"...that's my experience. Use an organic pad or cheapo pads...pads are relatively cheap in comparison to rotors...

well-i've already replaced them-and i replaced them with what was stock-whatever that was.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech