Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech

Post subject: Tried to get some answers
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:44 am 
Paul Bunyan

Took my truck back to a mechanic's shop today thinking I'd get my brand new gear box of 1-2 months replaced and get some answers/quotes on some other things....and after a full day I found out a whole bunch of nothing. At Bible study tonight, I found out that one of the guys used to work there and that these jokers don't know squat about fixing cars, but instead know alot about breaking the vehicles that are brought in. Anyhow - i'll take my 260 in parts and 250 in labor as a bad loss, but I'm not going to trust them to fix the crappy gear box that's now leaking. I hate incompetant "professionals". Here is the list of things I gave them followed by the answers they gave me.

Check the popping from the front end (possible culprits that I’m aware of – wheel bearings or u-joints). Quote to fix if this is the problem & for realignment . (It happens whenever the steering is rocked back and forth between near center and far left turn. It also happens after sudden or complete stops, then acceleration.)
--lower ball joints are shiny, showing small signs of wear. Also MAY be due to play in u-joints which is common in 4 wheel drives

Quote for rotors
--didn't say anything about them...120 bucks each to replace

Check new steering gear box – I’ve noticed fluid at bottom of reservoir
--have to remove the steering gear box stabilizer bracket (aftermarket part) for them to replace it and show the receipt. (also made note that the "device" (steering stabilizer) may cause undue stress on gearbox and shorten life of gearbox...but I asked how that's possible when the "device" is fastened to the frame and the whole purpose of it is to keep the vertical shaft of the gearbox from moving side to side (I got a "don't know" on that one))

Know how to loosen something that has high-strength threadlock? – Luke’s Link on Tracbar. If this is the problem - don’t mess with it-just let me know.
--didn't mention it ...cut it or warm it up...(think I'll just go with a 2002 retrofit bracket and trackbar)

If it’s the lower colomn bushing on the steering rod – don’t worry about it- just let me know.
--didn't mention it (think I'll go with the 50 dollar aftermarket bushing because the rod is loose)

Passenger tires – slow leak with old & new tires
--didn't mention it (something about aluminum wheels was mentioned when I first dropped it off)

Did I mention how much I hate stupid people that waste my time!

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post subject: Re: Tried to get some answers
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:47 am 
Thread Necromancer

Sounds like you need to find a good reputable shop, or dig in and start trying to figure it out on your own.
Ask around some trusted guys at work and see where they recommend taking the truck, since you're new to the area. You work for a large construction company, right? Who services thier trucks and equipment? That may be a good place to start.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works.
'08 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins, 4x4
'78 GMC 4x4 short bed
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:07 am 
Paul Bunyan

kennedy wrote:
Sounds like you need to find a good reputable shop, or dig in and start trying to figure it out on your own.
Ask around some trusted guys at work and see where they recommend taking the truck, since you're new to the area. You work for a large construction company, right? Who services thier trucks and equipment? That may be a good place to start.

Well, I asked the guy that used to work at that shop (he owns 5 trucks and multiple cars - does all of his own repairs and fabrication) and he couldn't give me a recommendation for around here. As far as work is concerned, they've been taking their vehicles to a guy that they know somehow through the owner of the company...but as far as I can tell its just overpriced labor...or at least no-one can really say what's different about him then the other guys. And another couple of people took their vehicles to HiTech until they found out that they were incompetent and were charging for a bunch of crap that wasn't necessary either.

I work for a design/build company, so the only vehicles that we own are the company cars and F150, 2wd trucks...and it seems like they all just take them wherever. I'll search some more, but I think I'll just try and get with Chuck some weekend and rebuild as much of the front end as possible - joints, bearings, rotors, the works. You want me to pm you when we do it?

DD: '96 Chevy K2500HD, ext. cab, LB, 4x4, 5 sp, PMD relocate, air filter retrofit, Banks Exhaust, 6.5L "F" diesel, Hideaway gooseneck hitch, Rear bumper hitch, Pyro Gauge, Boost Gauge, custom fog lamps mounted on a custom front hitch, DIY wastegate, A/C delete.

Wish List: some sort of scangauge, muffler & CAT delete, Walbro fuel pump & marine fuel filter, Feed the Beast mod (have fittings already)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:06 am 
spackled

Tire Brokers on Wells St., near Evans Toyota.... :tu2:

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:28 am 
Pap's mirror

AMXtogo wrote:

um he is in Ill. thats a long drive for a mechanic. :)

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:51 pm 
Paul Bunyan

PapsOldDually wrote:
AMXtogo wrote:

Yea.....but thanks though!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:53 pm 
spackled

PapsOldDually wrote:
AMXtogo wrote:

Yea, but it'd be worth it! :)

Oops.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:53 pm 
Thread Necromancer

Forest,
I'm not sure where you are in IL, and too lazy to luck it up. But, if you're close to Kankakee, then try sending a PM to 2D on this board, he's from Kankakee, IL and may be able to help ya out, as far as pointing you to a good place.

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:39 am 
Paul Bunyan

kennedy wrote:
Forest,
I'm not sure where you are in IL, and too lazy to luck it up. But, if you're close to Kankakee, then try sending a PM to 2D on this board, he's from Kankakee, IL and may be able to help ya out, as far as pointing you to a good place.

Thanks Kennedy, and yea, I understand the too lazy part-because I keep thinking I could just look up on the cummins forum or something, haha. Oh, and by the way, when I unplugged the 20 amp brake light fuse from the engine fuse block, the tail lights turned off, and when i plugged it back in and hooked the trailer back up, my problems with the brake controller, brake lights and bed lamp were all solved.....not sure what's going on.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:39 am 
Thread Necromancer

Sounds like something in either the taillight assemblies or the trailer wiring system is shorting out on something else.

'78 GMC 4x4 short bed

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:33 pm 
Tang Soo

Gump01 wrote:
kennedy wrote:
Forest,

Thanks Kennedy, and yea, I understand the too lazy part-because I keep thinking I could just look up on the cummins forum or something, haha. Oh, and by the way, when I unplugged the 20 amp brake light fuse from the engine fuse block, the tail lights turned off, and when i plugged it back in and hooked the trailer back up, my problems with the brake controller, brake lights and bed lamp were all solved.....not sure what's going on.

the trailer wiring in side the truck should have a plug that plugs in under the dash. check that plug and make sure that its plugged in and hasn't come loose. mine came loose and caused all kinds of intermittent problems and blown fuses, till i just plugged it in all the way...

mac 'place to start' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:58 pm 
Paul Bunyan

macgyvr wrote:
Gump01 wrote:
kennedy wrote:
Forest,

the trailer wiring in side the truck should have a plug that plugs in under the dash. check that plug and make sure that its plugged in and hasn't come loose. mine came loose and caused all kinds of intermittent problems and blown fuses, till i just plugged it in all the way...

mac 'place to start' gyvr

yea, i unplugged everything but the plug at the end - near the hitch and the lights stayed on. They stayed on till i unplugged the 20amp relay in the engine compartment.

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech