Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech

Post subject: Leaf spring mount woes
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:22 pm 
Baby puncher

When I did my brakes a couple months ago I noticed my front and rear spring hangers (on the rear leaf springs) were rotted out pretty decently. ONLY the dealer has these available, and they're awfully salty at $130 EACH!! As far as I can tell the only differences between the models ( 150, 250, 350) is the bolt size through the leaf spring. They have a near perfect framed d150 at take a part. I'm just wondering if it's what's more time and cost effective, going out and cutting the ones off that, then drill the holes to 3/4, or take it to Toppers and just make some mounts. Either way they're getting attached to the frame (probably welded) a few inches higher to drop the rear end a bit. Just want some thoughts before I need to haul anything too terribly heavy or they fail.

Post subject: Re: Leaf spring mount woes
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:45 am 
Thread Necromancer

I'd have topper make you some out of some nice thick plate. I believe they are riveted to the frame, grind/drill out the rivets, bolt the new ones on, just have them made with the holes a inch or two off from stock to lower it.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 am 
Male nurse in training

Why you gonna lower that shit? Heck if anything I thought about adding a leveling kit to mine but I'm probbely just gonna leave it as is Boogers and shit!!

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:20 pm 
Baby puncher

because it's 2 wheel drive. and seeing as it gets driven daily and will be doing tow rig duty I want all the mileage I can get, lifting it makes it worse not better. Not to mention I think it's retarded to lift a 2wd truck. I am doing a leveling kit...just leveling the rear to match the front.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm 
Male nurse in training

but why not leave it at stock level?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:58 pm 
Baby puncher

Because I can't leave anything alone. If I'm going to drive it on a daily basis I'm going to personalize it to suit me. I like the look of lowered full size trucks, and ya don't see many if any lowered diesel trucks. My plans are actually to lower the rear 3-4 inches, cut the hitch off and weld it with supports in the center of the frame rails, with the reciever behind the license plate. Maybe one of these days I'd like it to be a dually...or just find a rust free truck to swap the drivetrain into.

Another option I suppose would be to cut the hangers off the 96 cummins that is at take a part...but I'll probably just talk to Topper about it, and add another project to the Get Bent portfolio.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:28 am 
Thread Necromancer

keep in mind spring compression when you lower it... my W250 would squat about 3-4 inches with a car trailer hooked on.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech