Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech

Post subject: F150 new project
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:18 am 
Dirty tranny

i am post multiple post from the past few days of workin on this

well i have procurred a 1984 ford f150 xlt 4x4, 302 v8/ mortorcraft 2100 carb, dana 50 frt/ford 8.8 rear, np206 t-case,np231 tranny(might have these #'s off. list is in pole barn) engine has had head work and other extensive work, dont think this is the original engine, not sure.
having brake/turn signal(rear) & rev light issues, does not light up-frt turns work fine, does anybody know where i could get a wiring diagram?, had a bad socket on rev light- replacing that, also had a few bad bulbs already replaced them, going to start following wires tomorrow.
also think the carb might need a little tweaking, although the throttle cable broke and this could have been the issue cause right before i notice it was broke when i fired it up the throttle would stick open and not close when i let off the skinny pedal. going to replace this also tomorrow then see if she idles good. any tips,suggestions greatly aprreciated. wish me luck guys! will get pics up soon

BE GOOD AT IT!!!!![/color]

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post subject: Re: F150 new project
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:22 am 
Dirty tranny

my frt axle it is a ifs with 2 piece drive axle
( new to me) neve seen this kind of frt axle, topper suggested with my description of it to him that it could be a dana 50.
from what i am reading(haynes manual) this truck came with a 302 engine option but i dont think this 302 engine is stock to this truck, lot of loose wiring floating around in engiine comp,under dash, and fuse box does not quite look the same from book to my memory of what the trucks looked like. too damn cold in pole barn to do some investigating so i am reading up on the manual.
also i had the tranny info wrong it is a np435

GOD,
grant me the serenity to accept the impossible trails i cannot crawl, the courage to crawl the twisted trails i can, and the wisdom to keep the tire side down!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:28 am 
Dirty tranny

i am getting to pics just fixed my throttle cable so i can pull it out of the pole barn and get some pics. will get them ip soon.
anybody else dealt with this type of frt axle? opinions?

GOD,

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:29 am 
Dirty tranny

def will be posting ?'s up im sure, so any help will be appreciated. when i fixed the thrtl cable the idle sounded a lot better and yes i did have a spring issue but seems fine where i hooked it back up, also the bracket the thrtl cable mounts to on the top of the engine was bent back towards the firewall so i had to bend it forward a little and that allowed the engine to kick down properly. just have to get my brakes and turn signals working and i am off and runnin

GOD,

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 am 
Dirty tranny

well after hrs of chasing wire i found a cpl split/and rubbed wires. i now have break,turn sig on left rear side but still no brake/trn sig on right rear side. have a cpl more avenues to chase but i am def on the right track.
? why would the brk/trn sig bulb on the right rear be brighter then the brk/trn sig bulb on the left rear? both are new bulbs, the left rear signal socket is new the right rear is old????
took the truck out today to test new thrtl cable and she purrs like a kitten, still dont look quite right-assumed it should be str8 from the mounting brket on top of engine to the carb and it has a little bow in it between the mting brkt and the carburator?
my neighbor tim is going to come over and show me how to hook up a choke, there is a pull choke under the dash but was not hooked up to carb, just wire running thru the firewall.
DAMN forgot to take pics again!! i will take pics tomorrow
and now you guys are up to date as of today

GOD,

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:29 pm 
Dirty tranny

here r some pics

GOD,

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 pm 
Dirty tranny

some more pics

GOD,

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:34 pm 
Thread Necromancer

looks like a dana 44 TTB front

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:40 am 
Dirty tranny

what makes you say that? kennedy
if it is what can i look for to confirm this? i have never seen this type of axle
what does TTB stand for

kennedy wrote:

GOD,

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:45 am 
Jeeper in IN

Thats def a d44 center section just like my 84' Bronco. I am not sure what ttb stands for but it is a tortion style ifs.

I blew mine up in my bronco...

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:33 am 
Tang Soo

ttb= twin traction beam

its not all ugly

it will go fast

my guess is for a 150 its a d44...

mac 'one of the first gen ifs setups' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:10 am 
Thread Necromancer

tellozzy wrote:
what makes you say that? kennedy
if it is what can i look for to confirm this? i have never seen this type of axle
what does TTB stand for

kennedy wrote:

^this\/

macgyvr wrote:
ttb= twin traction beam

its not all ugly

it will go fast

my guess is for a 150 its a d44...

mac 'one of the first gen ifs setups' gyvr

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:33 pm 
Dirty tranny

txs guys good info!
well i got the rear wiring done, it seems between a missing ground and the bed actually coming off of a 1986 f150 and me following the wiring diagram for a 1984 f150 i got it all figured out. now i am street legal

GOD,

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:39 pm 
Dirty tranny

there is a pic of the rear drive shaft going into the rear axle and you can see a gold what looks like a rear pinion seal? sticking out of the axle, any thoughts on what this is? there are 4 pics showing this. going to investigate this tomorrow

the pics are #12-15 up from the first set of pics i posted

GOD,

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 am 
Dirty tranny

so how does a dana 44 ttb rate for off road wheelin? / daily driving? any downsides to having this axle?/ or upsides?

GOD,

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:34 pm 
Thread Necromancer

good info here
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=9287
it deals more so with the D35 version found in Rangers and Bronco II's, but still, a lot of good info, and most of it is the same as the D44 version that you have, just the D44 is beefier.

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:21 pm 
Jeeper in IN

^ good read.

It's def an ok axel for daily driving but I question it's durability off road with larger than stock tires. I literally spit the spider gears thru the front of the housing with 33x12.5x15's on my FS bronco which had a stock suspension. This was at the badlands and I was not in a bad spot and was not beating on it at all.

Yes I could have fixed it but it would have taken almost as much work to fix it than to swap in a solid d44 equivelent.

If your just gonna drive it and do light offroading then it'll work fine. If you want it to be able to do what your tj did then you might have some issues.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:55 pm 
Dirty tranny

txs kennedy!!!! again great info txs i will be refering to this in the future
subaru- i was reading in this article that alot of the issues stem from lifts/ big tires which i have neither but still good info to keep in mind. txs to you both.

had a friend of mine come over tonight and help me adjust my carb, so it idles alot better, sounds like a 302 now instead of a funny car. lol
also i am going to be installing a 7,6,4, way elect outlet for towing and a plate light

GOD,

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 am 
Dirty tranny

well i thought i had my rear lights fixed and the right stopped working again, it seems i have a bad socket from auto zone, seems my truck shakes, rattles & rolls a little too much. lol
anyway got my license plate light hooked up, got to get my tow plug hooked up then weld my hitch up.
go to pick a part for a few pieces.
[you]parts needed[/you]
was suggested that the bushing @ the base of my steering shaft was a little worn right above the pwr steering pump( pics above)
choke- (manual or electronic) leaning towards manual, done with the whole wirng thing for a min!!!! my engine has one( electronic) but i am not sure if it works, fig i will hook up a manual for now
headliner is shot in mine, thought i would see what they might have
am/fm stereo
fan shroud
more i am sure just having brain freeze!!!!!!

GOD,

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 pm 
Dirty tranny

well went to take a part today, great place found a bunch of trucks like mine! got a few parts- headliner,2 interior trim pieces, 2 door seals & the jackpot was a plate cover for my fuse box with all the info on fuses & placement of fuses. going back for a few other pieces that i found soon

also discovered once again a failure of another auto zone rear taillight socket, so i am returning it and having a buddy who works @ napa to see what they have and replace it tommorrow.

also discovered my starter is bad, it is drawing on my new battery and killing it. replacing it tomoorow also, thank god the alternator is new, after the starter this truck should be good to go
damn glad the engines runs good, much more and i might just sell her and try to find something else

GOD,

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:52 am 
Dirty tranny

ok i got the same exact rear taillight socket from napa and it works just fine? how the hell is this possible for auto zones to have 1 out of 4 that work and napa's first one works just fine?
also discovered( i am an idiot) i got half way thru removing the header to get to the starter, got bottom bolt out of starter and was getting ready to remove top bolt and lo and behold i see a ground wire running from my battery(grd) to my engine block was ripped out of its eyelet holder, so put it all back together to test if this was my problem and sure enough it was, so i did not have to replace starter

GOD,

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:02 pm 
Dirty tranny

ok went ahead and installed a new starter today, old one was def going bad. pretty damn easy! didnt even have to remove the header on the pass side, seems i just have to twist my arm 295 degrees between 2 header pipes and presto i can reach the top bolt. lol
fires everytime now, no problem! hell the only external piece that i can replace now is power steering pump, which i priced @ auto zone for $50
gotta say startin to like this old truck!!!!! she is runnin really well!!!

GOD,

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:14 am 
Likes dudes pitching tents

:tu2:

"McDonald's was giving me the run-around, so you can understand where that's coming from," -- Moore

"I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house." -- Charles Ramsey

“My reaction, I mean, I’m kinda scarred. I want to, you know, I want to be able to know more, you know, cause I having a son and I’m about to raise him right in this house so when you guys tell me a dead body, I’m like, you know, I’ve never seen no activity, you know, for nothing bad… I don’t know,” -- Ciera Richter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 pm 
Dirty tranny

txs alpine!

ok been puttin off lookin @ the brakes and it seems i need rear brakes, "DAMN" havent looked @ the front, wife came home and made cocktails & a fire on the back deck- work over on truck!!!!!!. lol
will look @ front tomorrow! checked prices @ auto zone - they quoted me $20 for both rear shoes, sweet!, also either need to have pass rear drum turned or buy new one. but prolly will upgrade shoes a little for a little more $, also changed rear diff gear oil- shit was a little dirty!, also doing frt diff tomorrow. got a case of amsoil gear oil 75-140 for $12
any idea if this rear end might have? or ever did? have a limited slip diff? just askin i know if it does i have to add an additive for this type of diff?
how can i tell if it does?

GOD,

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:23 am 
Male nurse in training

Pop the cover off and see if its open or not..or I think there might be away to tell by jacking up the rear and spinning one of the rear tires and watching the other one. Maybe thats a myth though.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:48 pm 
Dirty tranny

well it seems the brakes auto zone sold me does not fit properly and i think somebody put on the wrong shoes last time they were replaced, they ride too far back into the back plate- which the old shoes had the some marks on them indicating this theory, so i am going to that brake place off of wells to have him tell me what is what( whats the name of that place?)

well i cleaned up the rear punkin and found these #'s
all these #'s are cast in the punkin and on the rear of the punkin, where the driveshaft enters the punpkin

top left of punkin E47.W AIA
bottom left- ford emblem in oval
top right of punkin- 1 2 and an umop apisdn tear drop under the #'s 12
bottom right- A in a circle
so any clue what type of axle this is

GOD,

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm 
spackled

Brake Materials and Parts, 800 Sherman Blvd., 426-3331

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:38 pm 
Dirty tranny

AMXtogo wrote:
Brake Materials and Parts, 800 Sherman Blvd., 426-3331

txs amx

GOD,

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:01 am 
Jeeper in IN

Most fords have a limited slip as far as my knowledge goes atleast my 87 150 did

*OLD RED* 1990 xj*4.0*30x9.5x15*(sold)
*ZOMBIE HUNTER*1997 ZJ*5.2*24 lb injectors*msd ignition*taurus cooling fan upgrade*
*OLD WHITE*mud truck*1977*GMC stepside 1 ton*383 stroker*39.5x13.50x16 ss iroks*

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:34 am 
Dirty tranny

ok i called brake materials and the guy cant help me unless i know what axle is under this thing!
can anybody help me figure out what axle this is?????? i need this truck on the road A.S.A.P.

GOD,

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 pm 
Thread Necromancer

The front is a D44 TTB, and the rear I'm pretty sure is an 8.8

check this out: http://www.fordf150.net/howto/decode.php

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:41 pm 
Thread Necromancer

http://www.f150forum.com/

'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:26 pm 
Dirty tranny

txs kennedy big help!!!!! needed this a few days ago i also belive it is an 8.8, so does philbert, dick so that dillemma is solved.
also got my rear brakes done(right wheel cylinder), the damn parking brake was froze up on the pass side and was not allowing the shoes to fit properly took me 3 days to figure that out
next project is a rear pinion seal it is leaking, also figuring out if this 8.8 has a limited slip or not
txs for all the input guys

GOD,

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:46 pm 
Dirty tranny

kennedy wrote:
The front is a D44 TTB, and the rear I'm pretty sure is an 8.8
check this out: http://www.fordf150.net/howto/decode.php

txs kennedy it seems mine is a non LS (code 19)

GOD,

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » Scout, Ford, Chevy & Dodge full size tech