Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase) » TJ Tech

Post subject: TJ turbo??
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:57 am 
Jeeper in IN

1997 tj 2.5 5 speed. Not much power. Does great off road. I want to run bigger tires but i drive highway to work every day. I dont want the bigger engine. Was wonbdering if anyone had any info or sights about turboing my jeep. On you tube there is a yellow one the someone did it to. I just want better accel for highway. I want to run 32 or 33. I have 30 right now.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: TJ turbo??
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:02 am 
Jeeper in IN

You could probably regear for cheaper than a turbo.....

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 am 
what it was before for all i care

As already said it would probably be cheaper and more effecient to just re-gear. Being a 2.5L and a 5speed i would image it has 4:10's already so maybe think about going to 4:56's or even 4:88's. And you would be even more impressed on the trail. There would be alot envolved doing a turbo set up and probably less reliable. Not sure of what kind of knowledge you have when it comes to re-gearing but im sure you could buy the gears and install kits for around 400 to 500 and if you cant install them yourself you could find some one to do it for less than 500 and still be less than $1000. Im sure you would have way more into a good reliable turbo set up.

just my 2cents :tu2:

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:15 am 
Thread Necromancer

I agree with what was said. To do a turbo, and do it right, you're probably looking at well over a grand, if not 2. You can re-gear for alot less then that.
Also with the nature of a turbo, its going to improve your top end and higher RPM range more than the bottom end and lower RPM range. The bottom end and lower RPM range is really where you need the power pick up for what you need.

'46CJ2a/buggy project in the works, yeah, still have those parts.
'14 Chebby Silverado, 4x4
'88 GMC S15 Trail Gypsy
A sweet lawn mower
Motorcycles: '14 HD FLHTCU, '92 HD FXRS, '26 HD JD, '02 Suzuki DRZ400, '56 Cushman Eagle, '48 Simplex ServiCycle, '72 Honda MiniTrail50, '81 Yamaha YR250, Probably some other stuff
"Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember. Involve me and I'll understand." - Confucius
Image.................................................... ImageImage
"Concern yourself with what is right and you'll never second-guess that decision"
I'm not really an asshole, I just play one on the internet!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:53 am 
Jeeper in IN

Ok so gears. . i like that idea more. And you said my trail would be better. how so? Right now i use 4low and second gear. I have a friend that work in the dana factory here in fort wayne. He will re gear my axles for about 125 each i think he said. Maybe less cus im doing 2.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:10 am 
Tang Soo

TJMAN225 wrote:
Ok so gears. . i like that idea more. And you said my trail would be better. how so? Right meow i use 4low and second gear. I have a friend that work in the dana factory here in fort wayne. He will re gear my axles for about 125 each i think he said. Maybe less cus im doing 2.

seth?

better performance at slow speeds with lower gears...especially when you put on bigger tires...

mac 'can use 1st on the trail, and 5th on the hwy' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:15 pm 
Jeeper in IN

Not sure who he is. I dont really know him my friend knows him. Might be seth. White house with detached ger?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:11 am 
mister wiskers

I have a white house and a detatched garage :?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:29 pm 
Tang Soo

I met him the other night, his buddy had a front diff rebuilt or regeared by seth at your house.

mac 'cornfushed' gyvr

My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99
My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Board index » 4x4 Related Technical Forums » CJ, YJ, TJ, JK, LJ Tech (Short Wheelbase) » TJ Tech